Bloody Parrot.....yea....or.....nay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you agree with the bloody parrot creation?

• Yea

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters

mosammy121

i am a fish!!smell me??
Nov 1, 2001
i've had "biggie"my blood parrot for 3yrs now,i bought him(like some others)w/out knowing what was involved in "creating"them,but that proly wouldn't have stopped me;) NOW if the question was dye fish? yea or nay then id have to say nay :)

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
I acquired three parrots when I bought my tank. I probably would not have bought them otherwise. I think they are interesting fish and enjoy their antics, but do not believe in "manufacturing" fish. For a cichlid, I have found them to be quite tolerable of other fish and have worked well in my community tank. I agree with Keely though in that there are other issues (injecting dye, etc.) that should be dealt with first.

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
I dont have any grudges against the fish...i hope people buy them so they can have a good life...but im against the people that created them....it would be one thing to create a normal fish, but to create something with deformities...and a bladder deformity, also a spine deformity which increases the swimming difficulty......with all of that taken in it sickens me.....also the dyeing process.....i absolutely hate that they do that...but hey, in america it's all about the "Money".....right....also dex....good response bro...i whole heartidly agree with you.

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
As contreversial as this topic is I feel I need to respond. Much of what has been said in some of these posts is wrong. First off Arctic_Fishery you can not ask for peoples opinions then when they give it ask them to read such and such and ask them if they still see things the same. That was there opinion which you asked for. JamisonBWolsh, none of the fish you mentioned are hybrids with the possible exception of the goldfish but that is an answer lost in history, and of course the Flowerhorn is a hybrid. All the rest are the way they look through selective breeding which is a lot different then hybridizing. keely, while much of what you say about the fish trade used to be true, much of it is no longer. A very large majority, approaching 80% actually, of all fish sold are captive bred. Mostly odd balls and african cichlids are wild caught. Note I said most and not all. Unfortunatly you are very right about the treatment they recieve at the hands of new fish keepers. I am not slamming anybody here I am just pointing out some of the mistakes posted here. Personally I do not like these fish. I think they are ugly. On that note I am not terribly fond of fancy goldfish either. However the difference there is that one was an accident and one was on purpose. The fancy goldfish were developed by selective breeding from fish that were born with abnormalities. The parrot is the result of a purposeful breeding. However I always say to each there own and if you like them, more power to you.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
I say yea,there is no use of saying not to buy these fishes,they are worldwide and many people had them,might as well join in and get these fishes,here,i can make money from them.

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
i never no one shouldn't buy the fish im simply saying do you agree on the creation....and dark angel your right i am asking your guy's opinion...and all i did was put the article in there incase people didnt know or if they were just voting yea or no just to vote......its all cool....:)

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
DARKANGEL: Not to invalidate your claim. But your actually mistaken. Or perhaps I am? If you take one guppy from one part of an area and then you breed it with another guppy from a whole different area (would never have met in real life). Wouldnt that make the offspring a HYBRID of the 2? Man created. Same thing with bettas...

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
You need to differentiate between crossing different species of fish, in the blood parret's case, a red devil and severum, or what ever it is, to create a different species of fish. And breeding different fish of the same species, guppies, angels, swordtails, and discus, to produce color variations, and bring out different traits.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
JamisonBWolsh-those aren't hybrids,more like line bred fishes for its colours and finnage like those found in showfishes,these debates on showfishes has happened before
You should have remebered about showfishes

But i wonder how they make mutant batches like tailess flowerhorns and bubble eye goldfishes,are they similar to dying a fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store