Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Breathed new life in my old 180 gallon

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Bjams87, Jan 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bjams87

Bjams87 Registered Member

Ryan
    Jan 7, 2019
    Ryan
    Ok so first off my 180 was left empty for 7 years when I moved I resealed it a couple of months ago built a new diy multi bucket sump system to run off the overflow I have and added 2 marineland 350 biowheel hob for extra measure for the reticulated teacup stingray iam eventually get from my friend

So the tank has had water in it for 2 months now and and just added 15 mixed Barb's and a bristlenose pleco 2 weeks ago to help with getting the biofilters going I have a sand substrate the same play sand I've used in my tanks in the past but have developed a problem I've never dealt with in my sand this past week algae is growing in it and I don't think that is going to be good for the stingray never dealt with algae in my sand before. My lights are a low light led bar and then there is also another higher light led on there that puts out 4500 lumens Soo last night I stopped using the high light led and am only using the low light one
    Any suggestions would be helpful

Can get water test read outs posted later if needed
    Also the barbs and pleco are all healthy and active

2. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Today at 1:35 AM
    Joel
    Could be a diatom breakout which isn't uncommon for a new setup. I'd reduce lights on time, feed less and up your water change frequency and amount changed. Test frequently, make sure you're not seeing ammonia.

3. Bjams87

Ryan
    Jan 7, 2019
    Ryan
    Yeah I did test my water the readings were
    Nitrate-0
    Nitrite-0
    Gh-75ppm
    Kh-300ppm
    Ph-8.4
    Ammonia-0

soon differently need to get the pH down I went lfs and picked up some seachem pH reducer
    And gona do another water change tomorrow night along with stirring up the sand should I just take out the portions of sand that are greened up bad

4. Bjams87

Ryan
    Jan 7, 2019
    Ryan
    Yeah my tablet cam sucs but got some pics of the two really with the Bright green spots but the pics don't show the dull green through the sand also the anubs plant is only temporary till my bro picks it up not really wanting a big plant in the center of the tank but it was a present from Nana lol IMG_20190103_161202.jpg IMG_20190103_161154.jpg IMG_20190103_161202.jpg IMG_20190103_161154.jpg

FreshyFresh likes this.
  5. aquagirl1999

aquagirl1999 Registered Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Try getting a fish that will burrow in there. I have sand in my tank, and I have 2 corydoras catfish, which help stir the surface of the sand, a pleco, which does the same, and I’m getting 2 golden dojo loaches tomorrow. The loaches will help with stirring the deeper parts of the sand. I’m super psyched to go pick them up. You should definitely look into loaches though.