Breeding Amano Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mach_six

AC Members
Sep 23, 2006
This isn't another thread on How to Breed them. This is my progress of my current batch.

I think within a week or two before this batch reaches their final morph stage.

Hope you enjoy the videos!

Hatching from Eggs

Eggs

Development (not in order, was too many to keep track of specific one)

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Interesting. What salinities are you using? What determines when you change? Very cool to see this progress being made!

mach_six

AC Members
Sep 23, 2006
Interesting. What salinities are you using? What determines when you change? Very cool to see this progress being made!
Same range you'd use for a saltwater tank, 1.024~ . I change the water only when it becomes to cloudy with algae but then again, I think I need to do it more if I am raising more. My first successful batch was only 20 zoes that I was able to catch. This current I had collected over 300+ easily but only there's only 2 left that's possibly able to make it within the next few weeks. I'm not sure why they died out, I resisted feeding them this time and just let them eat the algae but they still died off.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd do more water changes and start decreasing the salinity. The big issue is identifying when they start migrating to freshwater.

mach_six

AC Members
Sep 23, 2006
I'd do more water changes and start decreasing the salinity. The big issue is identifying when they start migrating to freshwater.
I don't change the salinity in the grow out tank, it stays at full strength S/W.

I use separate small specimen container when I see them swimming and moving forward like a shrimp. It is a challenge to siphon them out using a 5ml pipette. This batch most died way before they were ready to morph. I need to re-grow the algae in the tank.

When they are ready to be transition, I pour in half S/W and half F/W in a container. I leave it there overnight and then the next day I add more FW and a few more hours then drop it into full F/W. They will die if they are put into F/W right away.

mach_six

AC Members
Sep 23, 2006
Unfortunately, it didn't make it and I finally cleaned out the tank. There is new larvae but the new tank doesn't have nearly enough algae like the old tank. So hopefully they will make it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store