Brightly colored gravel bad for fish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

secretHavenFarm

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
When I was first started getting into aquariums I was told to stick with dark colored gravel because bright colors shocked the fish?? I have a 20 gal and 10 gal I wopuld like to set up and would like to do different gravel schemes in each. So I was wondering if this was true.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
well it depends on the fish..some may not like the 'brightly' colored gravel..(discus for instance prefer a neutral to dark substrate and low light..but they can get use to it..

personally..I don't like the bright colored stuff.

:22_yikes:

Kettemoor

AC Members
Sep 14, 2007
Tallahassee, Fl
I have heard it isn't good for them, not only does it make them not as pretty but it actually hurts their eyes and makes breeding bad too due to the eye thing.

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
I like to make my tanks as realistic as possible. Although I did have Pittsburgh Steelers colored gravel for a while! GO STEELERS!!!!!!!

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
Ooops! I hadn't heard this! My son picked lime green, bright blue and purple, and hot pink mixed gravel for the main tank in his room!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i have bright blue gravel in one tank (because my kids picked it) and neutral in another tank, i don't notice any difference in behavior of my fish.

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
With my Yellow, Red, Blue that I had the Steelers emblem in may gravel didnt affect my fish. Atleast I dont think it did. it was all pretty bright.

Sorab

AC Members
Sep 5, 2007
London UK
I doubt the colour of the gravel makes much difference to most fish, more shy fish may prefer dark gravel. Not sure lime green gravel is good for humans though!

jonnyfry

safety first!
Mar 20, 2007
macon , ga
i read an article about coloured lighting affecting catfish stress and behavior blue was the worst , i wonder if the gravel has the same effect?

Shanks

AC Members
Oct 9, 2007
I've got some dark blue mixed with white blue gravel in the bottom of our fish tank, but all we have is guppies tetras and mollies, is this bad for that kind of fish? :goldfish:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store