Brightly colored gravel bad for fish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
the only fish i have ever seen a noticeable difference in were cichlids over white gravel/sand.. they tend to fade in color. This might be because they are more easily spotted by predators against a lighter substrate.

i've never noticed any other fish take notice.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i don't think that fish care too much, most of the ones we keep in our tanks have never seen anything like a natural/wild environment. one thing i would worry about is using a cheap brand of painted gravel. i once used some crappy walmart brand blue/green gravel and once i rinsed it enough to get the dust off, the paint started to come off. even sitting in the tank with no disturbance it continued to flake off and clouded the water. using a naturally colored, undyeed/unpainted gravel is much safer in that aspect. not all artificial gravels will fall apart, some are very good, but it is a risk if you don't know what you are buying.

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
the study was only on catfish and different coloured lighting , green came out on top .
Really, this is amazing! You said that blue is the worst? I will have to read up on this... very interesting.

jonnyfry

safety first!
Mar 20, 2007
macon , ga
i am getting old and my memory isnt too good anymore so i actually got it the wrong way round , green was worst white was best blue was a close second . may copy of TFH magazine in catfish corner .

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I think we would all agree that any environment that can more closely match the place of origin for a fish would be less stressful than one that does not. This goes beyond colored gravel and includes lighting, disturbances, water quality, temperature and providing groups or a mate ... and something most people forget about - Seasons!

In the end, however, I am a firm believer that most fish can and will readily adapt, but there is a limit that a species can change. If a fish is prey in its native habitat and likes dark hiding places and fears fast movement; Well placing them in a tank that has HIGH gravel contrast (ie. bright gravel), no hiding places, a lot of light and a tank in hallway will severely stress this species and could easily lead to a shortened lifespan.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store