Bringing shrimp from Hawaii?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
My family is vacationing on Maui and I have read that there is a very interesting native Hawaiian shrimp sold as a feeder shrimp along with wild cherry shrimp in pet and fishing stores here.

If I get some of these shrimp is it legal to bring them back to the continental US and what would be the best way to take them on an airplane?

Can't remember the name of the shrimp. I know its illegal to catch them in the wild but I would think if they are bought its ok?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
If bought at a petstore should be legit to bring back home. I'd just ship them, doubt you'd be able to bring them in carry on. If they get seen in checked in luggage some TSA moron is liable to think your smuggling them.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
My mom just brought back a bunch of orchids from Hawaii that she bought from an orchid grower there. When she bought them, the place packed them all up as if they were being shipped and put markings/stickers on the box to indicate that they were legal to take out of the state. My mom ended up shipping several that arrived the day she got back, and also carried some on her lap on the plane with no issues.

However, with shrimp and fish, they need to be in water, and that's usually more than 3 ounces, which means it can't be carried on, so I think shipping them would be the best method. Just make sure you get a little java or other type of moss for the shrimp to cling to in the bag, and see if the shop has any breather bags that they can be packed in, or if they will pack them for you so they will be safe for shipping.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Express Mail them to yourself the day you leave. Or even Priority the day before if you pack them right. Unless there's a state law in your specific state banning them, or a Hawaiian state law banning export it's 100% legal.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My family is vacationing on Maui and I have read that there is a very interesting native Hawaiian shrimp sold as a feeder shrimp along with wild cherry shrimp in pet and fishing stores here.

If I get some of these shrimp is it legal to bring them back to the continental US and what would be the best way to take them on an airplane?

Can't remember the name of the shrimp. I know its illegal to catch them in the wild but I would think if they are bought its ok?
Have you looked into the legalities or are you just assuming? In most states all that would be required is a non-resident fishing license to legally collect such things as bait, unless the species is specifically protected.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
The species is protected but they are caught along with the cherry shrimp, which are legal to catch.

I don't want to ship them from Hawaii to TN because I am guessing that would cost ten times as much as the shrimp. I read somewhere that if there is a living aquatic animal in the water it can be more than 3 ounces on a plane. Does anyone have experience with bringing fish on an airplane?
Maybe the fish stores here can box the fish for shipping but I do not want to rely on that to get through security.

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
Ooh I'm going to Hawaii this summer. Will check out the shrimp. Please update if you find out what they are called! :) I won't be able to ship anything though as I have about 2 weeks more of road trip afterwards. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
They are called opae kala'ole or mountain shrimp. Very interesting shrimp. Just read a lot of info about them. They used to be a really common food source but have been overfished and have been competing with wild cherry shrimp which were introduced here. They are like small bamboo shrimp and are very good at crawling out of water because they crawl up waterfalls to get to high streams in the mountains.
Very excited to find these shrimp and try to bring them home.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
So with that said are you going to put a lid on the tank they are going in if you manage to find some and bring them home?

Sent from my PantechP8000 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Yep already have a lid. I will have to cool my tank since they prefer water cooler than 74 degrees.

I think I will try taking them through security in a very small container then once through security put them in a water bottle or something and fill with tap water. Hopefully if I find a lfs that sells them They will also sell the tiny prime bottles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store