Bringing shrimp from Hawaii?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Those are the red Hawaiian shrimp that are saltwater. They need salt or brackish water and that price seems a little high too. I have been looking for those on the beach though. Haven't seen any kind of shrimp yet.
I did see a really cool goby watching me from a hole in a tidepool. Very tempted to start a saltwater tank and base it off of Hawaiian tidepools.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
A hawaiin tidal pool tank would be freakin awesome. Not sure if many ppl have rocked a tank like that

Sent from my PantechP8000 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Those are the red Hawaiian shrimp that are saltwater. They need salt or brackish water and that price seems a little high too. I have been looking for those on the beach though. Haven't seen any kind of shrimp yet.
I did see a really cool goby watching me from a hole in a tidepool. Very tempted to start a saltwater tank and base it off of Hawaiian tidepools.
That Goby is freshwater btw, and supposedly very numerous where it's found , and the shrimp are the same as you're referring to I think. They can live in anything from freshwater to euryhaline (saltier than seawater) conditions, but the best reproduction occurs in brackish conditions. Check the latin names.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Those shrimp are pretty cool but would end up being food even in my 10g nano. They hatch whole or as larva?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
The mountain shrimp is cool. There is a very similar shrimp that is far more common-the Singapore bamboo shrimp. Looks almost the same actually... I would really prefer the gobies they have on Hawaii. Some really nicely colored ones too!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
The shrimp have a saltwater larval stage like amano shrimp but not very much is known about it so no one has successfully raised them yet.

Idk if it was a goby I saw but it had a similar face with 2 blue horn things coming out of its forehead. Hope he wasn't freshwater since he was in a saltwater tidepool lol.

Hopefully I will be able to check out a fish store Thursday and see if they have the shrimp. Worst case I bring back some wild cherry shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store