Bristlenose Pleco in flowing aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hyphessobrycon A.

AC Members
Nov 15, 2018
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I am setting up a twenty-long riverine aquarium with a PVC manifold flow system (pictured in A River Runs Through It by Martin Thoene). I don't intend to have a very high flow rate; I just want medium uni-directional flow. I am already planning to stock with a few panda loaches and have filled requirements for them. But I have run into a dilemma, I have a two-year-old male bristle nose pleco (Ancistrus cirrhosus) that is currently being housed in a blackwater tank after my planted community tank was taken down. This is not ideal. I have read online that their habitat is clearwater streams and seen Cory from aquarium coop (youtube) catch bn plecos in a moderately flowing stream. I have never seen a bn pleco in a riverine aquarium though. Can I keep this pleco in my new aquarium?

Hyphessobrycon A.

AC Members
Nov 15, 2018
Hyphessobrycon A. is my username guess what fish my name is. Hint: the species classification is the name of a city.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't see why not. Like you say, it's part of their natural habitat. I'd just make sure to have areas and hiding spots it can rest in.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Do you simply want someone to say "tetra," or are you looking for something more specific, like cardinal tetra? If the latter, there are a lot of options. Hyphessobrycons are, if I recall correctly, mostly the deeper body tetras like bleeding hearts and black phantoms, not the more torpedo shaped ones like cardinals or nanos like the embers. And I think black neons are also Hyphessobrycons, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: OrionGirl

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I googled, lol. The only H. a. I saw was ember tetra. Is your first name perhaps Amanda? That'd be cute.

Back to your BN question, I'm sure it'd be fine with flow. But I'm not at all sure that I'd keep it in such a small tank with panda loaches. Their sizes are too different; 4-6 inches vs 2 for the loaches. It would be much better to keep the panda loaches in a species only tank. In fact I was going to try that option a couple years ago looking to hopefully breed them. Things changed...& I never did it, or at least not yet.

You do realize the loaches are only "panda-cute" as juveniles, right? The adults are still attractive, but more in the sewellia lineolata or other hillstream loach way.

There are a few other animals I might keep with pandas, maybe cherry shrimp or a small schooling fish, maybe Vietnamese white clouds. But either would reduce the chance of breeding if that's a goal for you.

According to a guy on Loaches.com who has bred pandas, they don't need a fast flow. I wasn't going to bother with the river tank manifold, just 2 HOB Aqua Clear 50s on a 20g long.

Just some thoughts...

Reactions: OrionGirl
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store