Budget lights and c02

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Multi tank Addict

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2020
I want to inject c02 into my 6 10 gallon neo/live bearer/fry tanks. I want to have a lot of cover for my fish and shrimp but don't have a ton of cash to do it. Any suggestions on lights that I can get and goo fastish growing plant suggestions that I can get for my tanks? I was also wondering if there is a good way to inject c02 into my 5 10 gallon tanks, a 20, and 55-gallon aquariums.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
There's really no budget way to inject CO2 into that number of tanks. What type of plants are you interested in keeping? Some can grow fast without CO2 injection. Water sprite and wisteria are two that come to mind. Bottled liquid "CO2" products can also be added to offer supplemental CO2 in a round-about way.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Homemade yeast CO2 generators are relatively inexpensive, I've had good luck with them. But I've never maintained more than 2 at a time as they are a lot of work.

If your looking for plant cover for your fry tanks, why not just use plastic plants? They're cheap and easy to keep up. They'll float if you take them off of the base or you can leave them attached to the base and they'll sink.

WYite

Multi tank Addict

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2020
Homemade yeast CO2 generators are relatively inexpensive, I've had good luck with them. But I've never maintained more than 2 at a time as they are a lot of work.

If your looking for plant cover for your fry tanks, why not just use plastic plants? They're cheap and easy to keep up. They'll float if you take them off of the base or you can leave them attached to the base and they'll sink.

WYite
Hi Wyomingite,
I know that there is no budget c02 option but I have seen a video on Ocean Aquariums DIY way he injects C02 and it fascinated me. I was wondering if there was a way to make something like that. I want a lot of plant growth in my tanks and don't like the plastic plant fake look. I haven't found any good ones and I can't have more grow. I like real plants because I don't have to do quite as much work either. I have 9 tanks and I want to reduce the number of water changes and make sure that the fry and shrimplets are safe. Having a c02 injected tank means that I would not have to do as many water changes, have my nitrates lower, cover for fry and shrimplets, and make my plants grow a little quicker.

I am also a little bit confused Wyomingite, from what I've heard you should turn on c02 an hour before lights turn on and an hour before the lights turn off. I belive if you make your own homemade yeast c02 generators you can't turn your c02 on and off.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think you need to have a budget,,, you can likely inject pressurised CO2 to 6 aquariums for $100-150 not including the CO2 tank (At least in the US)

But are you sure it is necessary?

I think the Ocean Aquariums thing you are referring to is known as passive CO2, you will not get the same levels of CO2 in the water as you will with active pressurized, but you basically have an empty bell in the aquarium, and fill it with CO2 gas periosically as needed,, the water will drain from that as time goes on and plants use it.

DIY methods, either Yeast or baking soda methods are cheaper to start, but a bunch of work and high ongoing expenses.

with pressurized, you don't run it when lights are out because plants will respire CO2 and it can lead to too high a CO2 concentration in the water/ using a pH controller bypasses this, but makes it more expensive still.

honestly, in the same position, I would skip CO2, and just choose appropriate plants and light levels and run from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store