Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a used biocube 29

Discussion in 'General Marine / Newbie' started by The camaro show, Mar 9, 2018.

1. The camaro show

The camaro show AC Members

Apr 10, 2018
    so a guy is selling a biocube 29 he has had set up for 3 years he has a few soft corals and a black clownfish and about 7 snails he has added a protein skimmer and made the last chamber a fuge he is asking 400 or obo i think i could get it for 200-250 because he is moving and really needs it gone.

So my plan is upgrade the lighting i want to keep the hood on it so i was thinking of adding 2 usa current marine pro leds so that will be enough light for lps and over time some sps

The stock i want is 2 file fish, a yellow watchman goby and a lawnmower blenny and a mandarin. inverts 2-3 cleaner shrimp about 10-15 hermit crabs and 10-15 snails and maybe emerald crabs? I plan on doing a 5 gallon water change a week
    What do you guys think?

2. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Today at 12:35 AM
    Jessica
    Not sure if the lights will be enough--Not much experience with coral.
    Mandarins need a special "Pod diet". The Pods must be alive too.

3. The camaro show

Apr 10, 2018
    really even with 2?

4. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Today at 12:35 AM
    Jessica
    LEDs do not have much "depth" penetration. At lease IMO.

5. The camaro show

Apr 10, 2018
  6. dougall

dougall ...

Yesterday at 11:04 PM
    LED lights will penetrate more than this depth of water... It will depend on the emitter used, and the angle of any optics applied to them.

I don't know about this specific light that you intend to use.. look for some good, first person reviews..

My personal feeling is that I would retrofit the while light in the hood rather than trying to augment it. Using something specific to the application will take a lot of the work out of it.

7. The camaro show

Apr 10, 2018
    so whats a good retro fit light for it then

8. dougall

dougall ...

Yesterday at 11:04 PM
    I don't know off the top of my head... Have a look around.

I don't think I would like the trouble and expense of keeping up with replacement OC bulbs though.

9. Sploke

Sploke resident boozehound
    Staff Member

Matt
    Aug 14, 2018
    Matt
    a 29gal is not an appropriate size for a mandarin.. a tank that small will not support a sustainable pod population at levels to keep a mandarin thriving.

If you are planning on coral, I'd skip the filefish too. They're known to pick at corals and inverts - not really reef-friendly fish.

10. Jesterrace

Jesterrace AC Members

Tuesday at 7:05 PM
    Skip the file fish if you want corals (they will destroy them). The MANDARIN IS A DEFINITE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mandarins need way more established live rock with a long established copepod population in order to keep them from dying. Take it from a guy who had one in a 36 gallon bowfront, it learned to eat frozen mysis and reef frenzy and I spent $250-$300 on pods and it still starved to death in about 3 months. The lawnmower blenny is too big for a 29 gallon, go with a tailspot blenny in a tank that size if you want the same function but on a smaller scale.