Buying a used biocube 29

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
so a guy is selling a biocube 29 he has had set up for 3 years he has a few soft corals and a black clownfish and about 7 snails he has added a protein skimmer and made the last chamber a fuge he is asking 400 or obo i think i could get it for 200-250 because he is moving and really needs it gone.

So my plan is upgrade the lighting i want to keep the hood on it so i was thinking of adding 2 usa current marine pro leds so that will be enough light for lps and over time some sps

The stock i want is 2 file fish, a yellow watchman goby and a lawnmower blenny and a mandarin. inverts 2-3 cleaner shrimp about 10-15 hermit crabs and 10-15 snails and maybe emerald crabs? I plan on doing a 5 gallon water change a week
What do you guys think?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Not sure if the lights will be enough--Not much experience with coral.
Mandarins need a special "Pod diet". The Pods must be alive too.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
LEDs do not have much "depth" penetration. At lease IMO.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
LED lights will penetrate more than this depth of water... It will depend on the emitter used, and the angle of any optics applied to them.

I don't know about this specific light that you intend to use.. look for some good, first person reviews..

My personal feeling is that I would retrofit the while light in the hood rather than trying to augment it. Using something specific to the application will take a lot of the work out of it.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't know off the top of my head... Have a look around.

I don't think I would like the trouble and expense of keeping up with replacement OC bulbs though.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
a 29gal is not an appropriate size for a mandarin.. a tank that small will not support a sustainable pod population at levels to keep a mandarin thriving.

If you are planning on coral, I'd skip the filefish too. They're known to pick at corals and inverts - not really reef-friendly fish.

Jesterrace

AC Members
Apr 24, 2018
so a guy is selling a biocube 29 he has had set up for 3 years he has a few soft corals and a black clownfish and about 7 snails he has added a protein skimmer and made the last chamber a fuge he is asking 400 or obo i think i could get it for 200-250 because he is moving and really needs it gone.

So my plan is upgrade the lighting i want to keep the hood on it so i was thinking of adding 2 usa current marine pro leds so that will be enough light for lps and over time some sps

The stock i want is 2 file fish, a yellow watchman goby and a lawnmower blenny and a mandarin. inverts 2-3 cleaner shrimp about 10-15 hermit crabs and 10-15 snails and maybe emerald crabs? I plan on doing a 5 gallon water change a week
What do you guys think?
Skip the file fish if you want corals (they will destroy them). The MANDARIN IS A DEFINITE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mandarins need way more established live rock with a long established copepod population in order to keep them from dying. Take it from a guy who had one in a 36 gallon bowfront, it learned to eat frozen mysis and reef frenzy and I spent $250-$300 on pods and it still starved to death in about 3 months. The lawnmower blenny is too big for a 29 gallon, go with a tailspot blenny in a tank that size if you want the same function but on a smaller scale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store