Calling All Siamese Algae Eater Owners!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
since reading this i've noticed both of mine have the blotches. one has the larger barbels you can see in the pic. the other has very tiny ones a bit lower... i am the only one that can see them due to my eyes are both better than 20/20, so i'd dare to say most would consider that needing magnification. the funny part, i have seen one atleast eat bba... not sure about both now. the larger of the 2 has a favorite perch where it seems he loves to snack on java moss periodicallly. the smaller one has never touched it at all. i'd dare to say the little guy is a langei and the larger one that seems to have a more yellow tint to his fins is probably an atrilimes. as far as i see they both fit the descriptions, pics and traits of said species stated above. the only thing i can't figure out is that they both have the spots about the anal area. funky... i'm wondering what else there is to find out in the future. i thought for sure this was not possible at one time as i was sure i had read all there was to know and i'd struck gold when i saw the "real ones" for sale. my how things have changed in such a short time. a very interesting read... and a second thought once again about the elusive "true sae"... thank you.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
this is so interesting because I've been wondering why two of mine look different from the other two. 2 are definently Langei, but the two others have a lot more gold to their color, a lighter band above the dark band, and are way fatter than the other two. Now I know those two are Atrilimes! I knew ther weren't flying foxes or false SAEs so I thought "maybe that's what the girls look like" HAHAHA

either way, I don't have algae problems and they all seem to love each other and line up in a little row on "the beach" in the evening and stare at me. No wonder those atrilimes are so fat, they've been gobbling up the flakes all this time!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
very interesting, great post. Maybe we should take some of those images and information to add to the sae sticky
I added the link to this in the old sticky for the time being. I am considering changing the stickies because this one is better with more identification added than the previous.

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
very neat info . I found mine from a LFS. the fish guy; finally got in the true' sae's . so I bought 7 . I now have 5 in my 75 gallon, and one in my 55 gallon, the one that is in the 55 gallon is FAT ! I just thought its eating alot , would make sence that its eating flakes . the other 5 in my 75 gallon are all about the same, and they usually swim together, stay hid under the plants and zoom around like mad fishys' I know I have had jumpers, and they have survived. lol ~ I will look for barbels & the dark spot. great info ~ thanxs

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Thanks for the info. I knew less about ID'ing these guys than I thought. Mine does have the smudge on the abdomen and tiny barbells so I guess he or she is the real deal.
I've kept my SAEs with Amano shrimp with no problems and I have never noticed them eating my mosses.

ctenophor

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
another interesting trait, if you have a tank that is too small for a school of true sae's get a school of otto's and one sae, the sae will school with the otto's

it is awesome to see.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
purchased all mine from mg, and they do eat bba. tho they will eat flakes they are constantly on the algae covered rocks

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Where can I get some C. Langei. I'd apprecite the info.
Not sure which online vendors there are out there but might as well try asking if your LFS can special order first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store