Camallanus worms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J.N.A Aquaculture

Registered Member
Nov 23, 2019
Ardrossan South Australia
Hi guys
My son and I have really gotten into aquariums which just seemed to be 1 nightmare after another ? we were rather noob to start with major regrets now. We did the cycle put in our fish all was great. Thennn we went and purchased plants from pet stock which had worm eggs in them, a few weeks later full infestation ? now we just can’t get rid of those ones. They are not the only issue, again pet stock I saw a beautiful angel but noob me had no clue what the red spikes were ??‍♀ The store worker said oh that’s fine it’s nothing, they went away I thought nothing of it. 4 months later ALL MY FISH HAVE CAMALLANUS WORMS ? that’s over 20 fish. I used everything on the market for fish nothing worked until I found skies Big-L pig and poultry wormer. Hats off to this company as daunting as it was I had to try it. They fish would either die from the worms or the treatment it was getting that bad...

I vacuumed the tank until there was 50% water and topped it back up as instructed rid the gravel from loose worms and eggs etc

My tank is 292lts I used 30ml of bigL treatment mixed with some tank water then poured the mixture in, turned off the lights and removed the carbon.
Lights can increase the side effects of the treatment the carbon will remove the treatment.

For the first 3hrs I sat by the tank ? I love them that much
I did turn the lights on and off just to check the worms and I saw them falling out of the fish at times.
I fed them high protein diet and also soak their food also in 0.5ml of treatment every 2nd day.

You must also note this treatment may kill any weak fish so say your goodbyes.

We lost 2 only a guppy and platy but still sad my poor babies.

Even after all this horror we love anything to do with aquariums, so much in fact we are now studying aquaculture, aquaponics, and aquarium management. ???

Thanks for listening any advice would be great or just share your experience.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh dear, camallanus worms are truly evil, I'm so sorry you're dealing with them.

What is the drug in your wormer? I've had limited success with flubendazole...but like you said weak or heavily infested fish won't likely survive. & your tank will need at least 2 or 3 treatments to get rid of eggs & any residual worms. I see you use litres so I'll assume you're in Canada or Europe...so I'm not sure what access to drugs you may have...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Levamisole works fairly gently on fish but does NOT kill the eggs. It will need to be redosed every 2 weeks. I have used it several times ...but NOT for camallanus (well, maybe once, I think I've only had it once in almost 40 years thank goodness). Vacuum well in between doses as best you can to remove all that you can.

Good luck! & let us know how it's going, it's a tough long battle IME. My only? experience as I recall, was with them was with stiphodon gobies. I lost 4 of 5 I think...but luckily in was in a quarantine tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store