Can I keep my freshwater aquarium on carpet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Do you mean to just have the aquarium setting directly on carpet on the floor, if so it should be just fine as long as it is level. You may get the carpet wet sometimes either through fish splashing or you working on it so it might be a good idea to raise it off the floor using bricks or blocks.

It will also be a bit more difficult to do water changes with the tank setting at floor level.

Reactions: FishAddict74

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Depends a bit on the size of the tank. Larger tanks are more sensitive to uneven foundation. Many carpets are not actually level due to the nature of the weave. Of course water changes will require a pump since you can't siphon and if the carpet gets wet and moldy changing it will require that you empty the tank to remove it. I had a 20 long on the bottom of a two tank stack and it was a royal pain to do maint. BUT i have a 5 gallon sitting on the floor and just use a cup to change water ;)
-
So (repeating first sentence) a lot depends on the size of the tank but at the end of the day you can do anything you want to do....

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
can I keep my aquarium on carpet? If so please give me reasons why.
To repeat what they said, depends on the size. I think 40 would be the largest I would go, but that may be pushing it if it’s very uneven
But do you mean having the tank directly on the carpet or having it on a stand that’s on the carpet?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
can I keep my aquarium on carpet? If so please give me reasons why.
One very important issue that I think should be considered is whether or not you're renting or you own your home. I'm sure a lot of landlords would seriously frown on this practice. Long term water exposure could easily lead to extensive and expensive damage, both to the carpet and the sub floor. It also may be forbidden by your lease if you're renting. Depending on what the lease specifies, you could become liable for thousand of dollars in repairs. If you question my assessment of the costs, in 2000 I had a bathroom remodeled in my first house, and unbeknownst to me the drain under the bathtub had been leaking. I had to have a roughly 8' x 4' section of the sub floor replaced, plus some wiring that had started to corrode underneath. Back then it added $1,500.00 to a remodel that was only $3,800.00 to begin with. You won't get those repairs for that cheap today. And if there's structural damage like this that needs repaired, it won't matter whether the sub floor is total rotted out or just slightly warped, the materials and labor still amount to the same.

If you own your residence and are willing to accept the risk, then everything mentioned above applies. I actually did this short term when I moved into my first home until I could get the family room set up for my tanks. It was on a berber carpet and I didn't use anything larger than a 20 gallon. I didn't think to check if anything was level and I didn't consider that there may have been seams or irreguarities in the carpet that could have lead to leaking. Looking back, I'd at least put a piece of plywood underneath the tank today.

WYite

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I had my 29gal w/ particle board stand on berber carpeting over a concrete floor (basement) for about 3 years. Like said, carpeting and fish tanks are not ideal, but so long as the floor is safe and sound and the stand sits properly on the carpeting, you can make it work. If it's a 4-post type footing to the stand, it's likely going to leave permanent dents in the carpeting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store