Can I put my Betta in my 29G overnight?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
I thought bettas don't "need" air to suvive. I knew that they can breathe it but also from water. So why is it so important for them to breathe air?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Any fish kept in a fairly small container should have the most surface area possible to allow for air exchange. Also such a small container will loose its air fast so the Betta should have plenty of surface just in case.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
TKOS hit it on the head. Bettas can draw O2 from the air, but they can also draw it from the water...unless there is no surface area for gaseous exchange, and then neither is a real possibility!

P.S. That's why bubblers are important for some cases...the disturbance increases the surface area and allows for more gaseous exchange, plus the bubblers actively impart good gas to the tank.

Quagaar

AC Members
Aug 4, 2003
Scotland
www.aquatic-hobbyist.com
Bettas are anabantoids, which means they breath air. They have a special organ called a labyrinth organ which acts as a lung for the fish. Bettas have highly under developed gills, which cannot draw oxygen from water. In the wild, bettas are commonly found in stagnant bodies of small water, with very low oxygen content, so this organ is the source of life for this fish, and other anabantoids. Vases are a barbaric practice performed on a beautiful fish, and should be banned.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by Quagaar
Bettas have highly under developed gills, which cannot draw oxygen from water. In the wild, bettas are commonly found in stagnant bodies of small water, with very low oxygen content, so this organ is the source of life for this fish, and other anabantoids. Vases are a barbaric practice performed on a beautiful fish, and should be banned.
While the gills are highly underdeveloped, they are by no means useless in drawing oxygen from water. If they were, Bettas would be forced to continually go to the surface and would not be able to sleep on the bottom as they do for hours on end. (And these are perfectly healthy when they perform such a task!)

Vases are a little small for Betta splendens, but they can be utilized and good fishkeepers can easily care for them...I don't recommend them, of course, but I think that they are at least somewhat humane compared to what many fish farmers do to their fish! Concentrating on the cruel treatment of Betta spp. at fish farms and retail outlets would be better worth your time, IMHO.

Quagaar

AC Members
Aug 4, 2003
Scotland
www.aquatic-hobbyist.com
Vases are a little small for Betta splendens, but they can be utilized and good fishkeepers can easily care for them...I don't recommend them, of course, but I think that they are at least somewhat humane compared to what many fish farmers do to their fish! Concentrating on the cruel treatment of Betta spp. at fish farms and retail outlets would be better worth your time, IMHO.
I consider myself very fortunate to never having seen them till I came online. I havent see a single petstore in the UK prepared to stock these vases, as they fear reprisal from customers and animal rights protesters. Thats not to say they arent available. I personally believe that anything below 5 gallons for keeping a fish in should be outlawed. Already in parts of Europe tanks smaller than 30litres are banned and even some countries have oulawed anything up to 10 gallons. I would never advocate keeping a single betta in anything less that 5 gallons. I personally keep mine in planted 10s, I had one attempt to keep a male in a community but he is way to confident for everybodys safety and has again been retired back to a 10gallon. I accept that they can be cared for by dilligent people in smaller tanks, but really why should the fish have to put up with what is an outdated belief that they do well in 1/2 gallon or gallon of water.
I am currently setting up for my first attempt at breeding bettas. I realise I will need to keep the males several weeks in 1gallon jars, but that is weeks, whereas most of these fish must spend their very short lives in this sized container. I deeply saddens me :(

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I wish that every country were like the UK, Quagaar, trust me. My Bettas have been in a 10g, too, but in the U.S. it is tough to get pet shops convinced that Bettas are any more than an accessory to a well-furnished house, and they're sold as such. I respect your country's ability to keep painted glassfish out of the stores and bettas out of the vases...I wasn't trying to flame you on that point, and I want to make sure that you know that.

5g is a wonderful starting tank for a single betta, I agree, and I'm glad that there are other responsible Betta-keepers joining the forums! Welcome, Quagaar, and I hope that you weren't too put off by my initial response to your first post!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
OTOH, I know that TeaPea is a responsible fishkeeper...asking about where to put the Betta is a great illustration of that point! I think that it is possible for TeaPea to keep a Betta happy in a vase for a long time as long as the water changes are kept up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store