Catch and Release or Keep

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How many practive C&R?

• Release Everything

Votes: 46 40.4%
  • Keep a few, release a few

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Keep most of my catch

Votes: 9 7.9%

• Total voters

Anniegump

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
I love to go fishing. I never keep what I catch though. Neither does my husband. I don't care to eat fish, don't like it. Even if I don't catch anything it gives me a great opportunity to get some wildlife pictures :)

The only fish I have ever kept were the mosquito fish my sis keeps in her 10 gal tank.

wakingupnow

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Nassau, Bahamas.
Real Name
Jessica
I voted release some and keep some, but if your going to "keep" a fish then it shouldn't just be killed and thrown away. It needs to be put to good use like food.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I honestly release about 99% of what I catch tbh

If it's a bass I'll throw it back :clap: at hopes of releasing the piggies to make baby piggies lol

If it's a walleye less than 5lbs, trout or salmon I will keep it

any walleye bigger than 5lbs gets released...and oh boy is that a task in itself...especially if the bladder expands too much from being taken out of such deep water...usually takes about 2 hours to get the fish healthy again and sometimes they never fix their bladder :1zhelp:

and off subject quickly...fizzing swim bladders IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

it severely lowers the fish's chance of survival ... fizzing a fish's swim bladder gives it about 30-40% chance of survival...fish released with no fizzing have about 60% chance of survival

thought I should get that out there...it seems to be the new catch and release "Trick" for big walleye with swim bladder issues

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I catch and realease most of what I catch. I do keep the occasional fish if i am out with my grandpa or something.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I honestly release about 99% of what I catch tbh

If it's a bass I'll throw it back :clap: at hopes of releasing the piggies to make baby piggies lol

If it's a walleye less than 5lbs, trout or salmon I will keep it

any walleye bigger than 5lbs gets released...and oh boy is that a task in itself...especially if the bladder expands too much from being taken out of such deep water...usually takes about 2 hours to get the fish healthy again and sometimes they never fix their bladder :1zhelp:

and off subject quickly...fizzing swim bladders IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

it severely lowers the fish's chance of survival ... fizzing a fish's swim bladder gives it about 30-40% chance of survival...fish released with no fizzing have about 60% chance of survival

thought I should get that out there...it seems to be the new catch and release "Trick" for big walleye with swim bladder issues

if you can get the fish back to depth the problem should go away. the bladder would go back to normal size

the trick would be how.

;)

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
lol easier said than done I'm afraid
Scuba gear might need to be packed in a tackle box lol

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Always let the big Stripers go to procreate - they're the breeders. Once in awhile take a small keeper for the table.

Siphon1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2010
I always release any cow sized striper but I will keep a nice sized one for the table. I only keep bluefish and porgy to give away to friends and family that want them otherwise they go back too.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I keep what I'm going to eat:

In FW, large blue gill, crappie and catfish in to 18" to 30" range. I don't care for the taste of largemouth bass so don't keep any.

Inshore salt water, flounder, speckled trout, sand trout, whiting and large sheephead. Sometimes I'll keep the odd redfish but mostly release them as they can taste pretty strong.

Offshore, ling (cobia), dolphin ( mahi mahi, dorado), snapper, kingfish, wahoo, grouper, tuna and amberjack are kept to eat. Any more it's so expensive to go offshore (40 miles or more out in the gulf) that it's an occasion for a party and feast afterwards.

Mark

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Release about 99% of the fish I catch
I don't like to eat fish personally...but the wife loves them
That is the other 1%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store