Cats and fish tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Move the tank to where they can't get to it is one suggestion...water gun is the other they will eventually get the idea that they are not supposed to touch the tank if you squirt them when they are being bad. I don't know I have a cat who just adores watching my tanks he doesn't attempt to touch or get into them as a matter of fact he is protective of them. When I go near them to do maintainance or feed them he follows me to see what I am doing.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
Not only do I have cats I have 4 of the most relentless cats ever.

I have an open top betta tank on top of my Tv. I had to move him out of it because I got sick of filling it every other day. well guess what. Now my cats won't drink out of anything but that tank. My wife made put the tank back on top of the tv.

I now have a 2.5 gallon tank with no fish in it just so my cats have there own fish tank.

God help us animal lovers, I have a zoo at my house that costs my more in food than my wife and I combined.

4 cats, a dog, 5 sugar gliders, 2 ducklings and 6 fish tanks, one of which doesn't even have a fish in it.

Not to mention our dog only has three and a half legs and one of our cats is mentally retarded.

tankboy_taylor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Salem,NH
My cat use to be all over my tanks but they know better now all I did was raise my voice and pretend to go after them. It doesnt work overnight but if you follow through everytime you see em on the tanks theyll get the point.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC

I have an open top betta tank on top of my Tv. I had to move him out of it because I got sick of filling it every other day. well guess what. Now my cats won't drink out of anything but that tank. My wife made put the tank back on top of the tv.

I now have a 2.5 gallon tank with no fish in it just so my cats have there own fish tank.

God help us animal lovers, I have a zoo at my house that costs my more in food than my wife and I combined.

4 cats, a dog, 5 sugar gliders, 2 ducklings and 6 fish tanks, one of which doesn't even have a fish in it.

Not to mention our dog only has three and a half legs and one of our cats is mentally retarded.
i had a spare critter-keeper type thing and i just filled it with water and threw in a ton of unwanted java moss. . . now it's kitty soda. they'd rather drink out of that (which i simply keep uncovered underneath a tank near a glass door) than expend the extra effort to jump up onto one of the real tanks.

i'm glad you guys are getting some really good suggestions now.

stasia8756

AC Members
Feb 24, 2007
Nashville
We have four cats but only one is interested in the fish tanks. She sits and bats at the glass and when I have the top off doing a water change she looks over into the tank. My worst nightmare would be if she fell in and couldn't get out and drowned. So far all she's done is walk around on the top and so far it has held her up. The squirt bottle is a good idea but I'm often worried when I'm not home what is going on. I don't think she'd have much luck catching any fish. They're pretty quick.

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG this is cracking me up!!

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Well so far they have been good. Every now and then I see one on the 65gal but I am not to to worried about that one. We have a canopy on it and I know they can't get in it. My female has knocked the top off the 1gal a few times ... hopefully they will loose interest in them soon.

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007

:worthy: I worship your patients. good luck!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
One of my cats likes to use the aquarium for a step so she can look outside. She has shown only a passing interest in the fish and is more concerned with getting my undivided attention. She prefers chicken over fish thankfully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store