CFL lights on a 180 - How many ????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I am going to swap my lights on my 180 to (CFL) a DIY Compact Fluorescent Light system. I was wondering how many would be good to grow plants in a 180? I had HO fluorescence's which I did not like. I swapped to LED's which are to dim. I have decided to try CFL's.

I can fit 40 bulbs - 20 double ended holders in the hood easily. That just seems like a LOT but I need to ensure that I have enough light to penetrate to the bottom of the 180! This is the 3rd light system I am trying and I want it to be the last!!!!!!!!!!! SO, simple question - How many do you think would work? I have 8 on my 75 and it looks and works great, The 180 is DEEPER so How many do you think?

Thanks, Arkangel77

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
40 bulbs would be anywhere from 400 to 1080 watts considering cfls go pretty much from 10 to 27 watts. i think the low end of that would be good to maybe on the bright side. for 3wpg with 27 watt bulbs you would need 20 exactly. with that you could always lower the light with lower wattage bulbs. that would give you the option of anywhere from 200 to 540 watts just by switching bulbs where necessary.

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
ho- t5 are better than compact florescents imho, they give off better lighting and are cheaper to replace than the cf.

you may want to use 10,000k lighting on a tank that tall, they will get to the bottom of the tank better than 6700k do.

on a 180g tank i would go 265 watts minimum for low -medium light plants
it really depends on if you want to get pressuzied co2 , daily dry ferts and spend some $$$. you could get a dual 96 watt fixture and do low light plants ok.

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I just picked up a NICE CO2 system from Nolapete and I am gona buy some dry ferts (I think). I don't wana mess with T5's. I am going to use screw in florescent bulbs. I am only trying to keep easy plaints but have bin unable to keep them alive. I think they need both better light and CO2. That's why I am working on both.

PS - I had 2 duel 96W light strips with MOON lights and they sucked and were crazy HOT!!!!

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
YES, I want to use the Spiral bulbs. Well if I use the 26 watt bulbs and go with 20 of them that would put me at 520 Watts of light. That would be close to 3 watts per gallon BUT the question is - WILL it penetrate to the bottom? I just only want to do this Once if that's Possible. I may set it up for 40 bulbs and just use lower wattage bulbs at first to see how well it works. I can always swap them out for other bulbs if needed - OR just set it up for 40 - only use 20 bulbs and add them if needed a little at a time till I get the right amount of light?

Arkangel77

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i really think 3pwg is on the high side for a larger tank.
i have a 50 gal that's about 20" tall running t-8 and t-12 at ~1wpg. granted i'm not growing anything special but i think going much over 3wpg on a large tank is crazy.
i am not the guru or the expert... just one lowly idiot with a couple tanks so keep that in mind. i still wouldn't go over 26 bulbs in any case. that should give more than enough imo.
also filling 40 receptacles gives you a minimum of 400 watts. having 20 empty receptacles above a tank leaves a lot of room for unannounced disasters imo.
i would do 20-26... fill one side with 10 watters and the other with 26/27 watters... adjust as you see fit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store