Cheap PVC canister manifold for two tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Not many tubs have a straight shot down to the main, every 90 degree elbow and length of horizontal pipe have a big effect on drain capacity. And the theres that thing called a trap :)
no disrespect, but i ran a couple crews building a few things and have a pretty good idea of how things work. out of all the tubs i've replaced you'd be quite surprised what you'd find. and who puts a trap on a tub? there's not supposed to be food in there. :(

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I understood that completely gunner, but the total volume of water needed to fill the typical over the rim siphon is significantly less than that is needed to fill your 2" pipe ( and I understand its only 18"). What I see happening, and the question I was trying to ask is, as the aqualift begins to pump water into the 2" pipe to try to achieve siphon, won't the water just spill out either side of the pipe before it can fill it and achieve siphon? Sorry I am not wording this better......

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
see singapore fish tank for example... a vacuum, diaphram pump or dosing pump would be perfect for such an application depending on size. the idea is the water itself provides the back pressure once the pipe is filled. it's like the playing card under the upside down glass of water trick.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
no disrespect, but i ran a couple crews building a few things and have a pretty good idea of how things work. out of all the tubs i've replaced you'd be quite surprised what you'd find. and who puts a trap on a tub? there's not supposed to be food in there.
It's called a P trap, and it's not there to catch debris.....and while many older homes don't have them it has been code for quite some time.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
So if it does have a drain issue I plan to split the canister lines with two adjustable Y-gate valves and extra hose about an additional $10. Even though the inflow and out flow to each tank will not be perfectly matched. It should be close enough to take 90% of the drain load off the passive ABS drain and give it a big margin of tolerance against possible flooding.
:nilly:;)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
It's called a P trap, and it's not there to catch debris.....and while many older homes don't have them it has been code for quite some time.
Ah yes, but can you answer what changes in a trap after 2 weeks of non use and preventative measures that must be taken?

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I would imagine the water in the p trap would evaporate allowing sewer gas to flow through the tub drain.

On another note, after re-reading your description, My understanding of the aqualift pump was wrong....sorry. I had visualized ( the aqualift) it as pumping water into the pipe, not sucking the water up into it. Thus my confusion. I woud imagine if it couldn't you could always downsize it to a 1" pipe and go with the Y gate getting things as equalized as possible and that should handle the descrepancy. Nice idea, how much do these aqualifts cost?

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Should work, for that price you could use two of them and still be cost effective. I read another one of your post were you converted a HOB to a mini refugium.....Did you ever consider something like this utilizing a smaller third tank?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Haven't started that project yet although I have all the stuff. One of the drawback to to using thin rectangular $2-5 plastic boxes as sumps is they will deform trying to become round. But it occurred to me that all that is needed is a wood box frame out of 1 cheap $2 1x2's stud and screws an you have a $100-$400 multi-compartmental sump for about $7-$20.

Coveting a discarded or unwanted HOP into a overflow box is still in the theoretical stage but I think it should work even without a skimmer. I just need to get started on that project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store