Cheapest filter to operate for a 55 gallon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I guess a 20 watt filter is peanuts when you're sticking a 300 watt heater in the tank.
Though it is true that altogether the heater will likely use more energy, it does not run continuously. So it is apples to oranges.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Though it is true that altogether the heater will likely use more energy, it does not run continuously. So it is apples to oranges.
Not really apples and oranges. Power consumption is power consumption. Just because the filter doesn't operate continuously doesn't change the fact there is power being consumed, just at a less frequent amount of time and at lower levels than a continuously run filter.

I think the OP's concern over the filter consumption isn't important, but I have heaters that run frequently. When I was up North, they ran a lot more. For many areas of the US and around the world, the heater consumption, if they even have them, isn't a concern at all and the filters would be more of a draw yearly.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
In terms of the most effective filtration per watt, a canister would be the best IMO given the amount of media they hold.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too agree, since all I have are Maineland canisters, but if for "Cheap" filter and low watts, hard to beat Aquaclear.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
In terms of the most effective filtration per watt, a canister would be the best IMO given the amount of media they hold.
"Effective" filtration is to subjective. So relating that to wattage is useless... kind of like apples and oranges. ;)

What is "effective" filtration varies from person to person and tank to tank. Some folks have different needs on what they need. Bio, chemical or mechanical. If "effective" was objective, all filters would be the same as for media, just vary on quantity for the filter size.

Just because a filter is cheap, doesn't mean it can't out perform a more expensive one.... depending on the size tank and the needs... the tanks and your needs.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nah.. completely disagree with you there Bob.

There's no debating the fact that a canister holds the most media volume and offers the most flexibility in terms of what you can do with that media. So if you're comparing a ~20watt HOB with a ~20watt canister, the canister has the capability of doing more for you.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Disagreeing is fine. The topic wasn't what filter can hold more media for you. That an objective, open and shut issue. Just because an HOB and a canister that both draw the same power, doesn't mean the canister is the better filter for the tank. Very few folks spend countless time fine tuning and varying their media. Some dedicated hobbyists, true. The average fish keeper, nope.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you, I'm just basing my opinion off the OP's question:

When it comes to HOB power filters and canister filters, which uses the least amount of power, yet offers good performance.
I still think comparing these two types in stock form, it's going to be hard to beat the general performance of a canister per watt consumed.

Reactions: Jade.Crusader

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
I too would consider Sponge Filters as an addition. I use these in so many of my clients aquariums. They have very high bio capacity and perform some mechanical filtration too, depending on the type and density of the sponge material.
There are also pre-filters sponges that fit onto your AquaClear, SunSun, or Fluval and improve filtration and main filter performance. These also help maintain bio filtration after main filter maintenance too.

I would caution though that not all are the same, some of the junk sold simply clog faster and/or do not maintain the bio load as well as the patented ones I have used.
My preference is the AAP Hydro Sponge line of Sponge Filters.

Ref;
http://www.fishbeginner.info/home/what-is-an-aquarium-sponge-filter/

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store