Cheapest filter to operate for a 55 gallon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Even with the cheap eBay suction cup sponge bubblers, I'm always amazed at what comes out of them when I squeeze them out. Other than those, I have ones made by "Deep Blue" that I've had running for 2-3yrs at this point. Lots of brown goodness comes out of them too.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Right now the plan is to go with a Aquaclear 70 HOB, with a possible upgrade to the Fluval 304, when I get enough parts to fix it up.

I'm trying to decide between an Eheim Jager or Aqueon Pro heater. I like the Aqueon Pro, because it's not glass and it's shows green when it reaches temperature. So, no light, and you have a problem.

The Eheim Jager has a more accurate thermostat and seems to run cheaper price-wise.

I've used Visitherm and Hydor heaters in the past. My Hydor failed after a month. The Visitherms were OK. One lasted 10 years. The other only about a year.

Not sure what other brands are even worth considering.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
IMO the more accurate thermostat is a non-issue. It is far more important to have consistency rather than a specific imaginary number. Daily temperature swings (colder at night, warmer during light period) also naturally appear in the wild and fish will adapt.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
IMO the more accurate thermostat is a non-issue. It is far more important to have consistency rather than a specific imaginary number. Daily temperature swings (colder at night, warmer during light period) also naturally appear in the wild and fish will adapt.
What I meant by more accurate was the you set it it to 80 and it stays at 80. The Aqueon Pro, I set to 80 and my tank goes to 82. It stays at 82 pretty consistently, but 82 is not 80.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
What I meant by more accurate was the you set it it to 80 and it stays at 80. The Aqueon Pro, I set to 80 and my tank goes to 82. It stays at 82 pretty consistently, but 82 is not 80.
Exactly. Then you simply set it to 78 and you will have a tank around 80. Also depends where you measure the tank at. Plus you won't know if the tank actually is at 80 unless your thermometer is calibrated.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Think it comical that folks expect accuracy from $30 heaters and $2 dollar thermostats....:D

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
The official "I want to scream moment just happened." Tank full of water. Lights on. Went to hook up the Aquaclear 70 to the aquarium and THERE IS NOT ENOUGH CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE WALL AND THE TANK TO FIT A HOB FILTER!!!

So, it appears I will be using a canister filter on this tank now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store