Check out this cold marine reef tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
The tank is 200 gallons,is kept at 15 degrees with a 1 HP chiller...natural seawater from our crystal clear ocean down here,which has a partial change every couple of weeks.I have a red sea berlin hang-on skimmer,which sucks-out the gunge really well.The jewels are fed regularly with live brine shrimp,and a clam/seaweed liquidised dose through a turkey baster,(hence the need for a skimmer).Lots of water movement,with tunze 6045's blasting away.Living by the sea helps of course!
Any other questions,please ask!

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
The temp.is set at around 15 degrees...kept at that by a 1HP chiller,which is overated,(essential to have a larger chiller than recommended...it's not struggling when the room temps get into the high 70's).
Any other questions please feel free to ask.

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
I don't think we're allowed to export from NZ...we have some of the toughest environmental laws down here.....Happy to answer any of your questions though,as I would imagine we have some very similar temperate stuff down here in the Sth Pac,as you have in the Nth.Pac!

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
Thanks for the tank compliments.Will try to take a few more shots.I'm hoping to take a snorkelling trip in a few days to add to the collection,but I need calm weather,and have to be careful with the tides as these critters love to settle where the currents are huge( being filter feeders)..I mis-timed a trip a while ago,and almost got swept out to sea...hanging on to a huge bull kelp saved my bacon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
That is just stunning! 15 degrees must be a killer to maintain. What kind of lighting do you use? And how many 6045's are you using in your 200 gallon? Thanks for all the specifics, helps get an appreciation for your coldwater reef.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
My question is, what source (book) would have info on this type of thing. Doing a search online comes up with results, but I don't know how reliable they are. Much like just doing a search for tropical marine tanks, or reef tanks. Lots of sources but not a lot of them are reliable, IMO.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I don't own one personally, but I have dealt with coldwater tanks in the past. In general, they are much easier to maintain and stay cleaner than a tank at tropical temps. Most of the animals are rock solid in terms of hardiness, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store