Check out this cold marine reef tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deeper blue

Registered Member
Aug 31, 2010
Hi cold marine, I have been searching the web for you!

Well OK - I have been searching for folk who keep cold water marine.

I actually live directly below you, that is, if you could tunnel straight down & thought the earth, you would find yourself in the Channel Islands, specifically in Guernsey.
So although we might be a world apart we do in fact share a few thing in common - some of the biggest & fastest tides in the world, very similar sea temperatures & most relevant the same type of marine life!
I am also a very keen free diver & see what looks like exactly the same species of anemone!

Anyhow.....Wow fantastic tank, & by reading this thread you have answered many of my questions already.

I was concerned about the front glass forming condensation but that seems not to be a problem!

I am however, still interested to learn if you think the live rock is operating as the biological filter?

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
Hi Deeper Blue,
Thanks for the interest in my tank....very similar conditions down here to the channel Islands...I remember seeing an episode of the BBC's Coast series where they explored a cave, encrusted with jewels on one of the islands.
I really don't know whether or not the live rock is a major factor in the biological process...it's not porous,but has a myriad of life growing on it...this must have some overall effect I guess. The beauty of collecting is the benefit of getting the specimens into a tank reasonably quickly.....no die-off and fresh seawater with the same ph etc.

deeper blue

Registered Member
Aug 31, 2010
Yes, thats right - the caves in Sark are quite amazing to see.
I have taken the first steps towards setting up a cold water reef,
I have decided to build a tank that will receive removable background. The idea will be to cycle two different backdrops from the sea to the tank say every 6 months.
I have stuck some volcanic rock to a perforated sheet, this is in fact now living living in the sea to mature & hopefully become "live"

P1010231.JPG P1010233.JPG P1010234.JPG

deeper blue

Registered Member
Aug 31, 2010
There is a pic of the completed backdrop but it wont load!
Anyhow the tank is under construction...

tank 1.jpg tank 2.jpg tank3.jpg

deeper blue

Registered Member
Aug 31, 2010
Well I might but, the backdrop is slowly maturing under my boat mooring as we speak. I intend to leave it until around Christmas time & that would be a good time to start a thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store