Cheech's 90 g. build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
See that?! OOOH! There it goes! The information just flew RIGHT over my head!
I saw it! :)

Right there with you. The only things I know about LEDs are: Cree is good, optics focus the light and they make your corals look sweet!

I like the look of your tank Cheech. Good color from that fixture.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Simply put....AMAZING Cheech!!!

See that?! OOOH! There it goes! The information just flew RIGHT over my head!
LOL, I'm right there with ya Jinkz!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Just wanted to add a little update since installing the biopellets reactor.

In short, it's been good! Really good.

If anyone is thinking about it, provided you take proper precautions you should be OK.

YpcNql.jpg

- the reactor should have no sponges that would restrict flow and block small particles from getting through. I replaced the sponges with a plastic mesh with holes that restrict the biopellets but not the particles from getting through

- pellets I used were vertex brand. Instructions say not to run any phosphate remover with biopellets.

- Proper flow is important. Enough to loosely tumble all the pellets, but not so much that the flow pushed the pellets to the top mesh.

- Add little at a time, weekly, and test. I have about 150 gallons of water in all (maybe a little more). I added 100 ml weekly. I'm now at 400, and I'm thinking that's how far I'll go. Maybe another 50 ml this weekend, we'll see.

- I placed the intake close to the drain from the main tank, and the output very close to the intake of the skimmer.

So far, so good. Green hair algae is practically undetectable, ntrates are lowering, and (if anyone remembers) the hair algae on my chaeto is almost all gone. The chaeto also stopped growing. If it starts getting thinner, I'll probably remove it all and use the area as a soft coral frag tank. My glass scrubbing schedule has also decreased, takes a few days longer to get dirty.

I know every system out there is different, but so far, biopellets has been great! If you're thinking about it, take it slow, and do it properly.

YpcNql.jpg

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Cheech - awesome, awesome job. The tank looks really great, and the system is just top notch - a living lesson in 'if you're going to do something, do it right'.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Thanks benson. The only major change on the tank setup is the removal of the cube shaped sump. It was overkill. . If I ever end up needing a frag tank I'll reinstall it, but until then I placed the skimmer in the rectabgular sump. Removed the chaeto as well, and added a filter sock.

here are some updated shots of the tank. Taken with my phone, but they came out half decent

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store