Chest of Drawers as a Stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
tuvok said:
They will cut your wood but I don't think they guarantee accuracy. I always felt that they offered the wood cutting service mainly so that if you bought a large piece of wood you could get it in your vehicle and not necessarily to provide you with project grade cuts. I could be wrong, but it is just something else to consider.
They will cut to the dimensions you require. They use a panel saw for some cuts - very accurate provided the operator is....

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
tonytheboss1 said:
:cool: I stumbled onto this for you doit yourself types. Hope it helps!!

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
Good Luck
Holy hell!!! Geesh...They spec out 4x4's? Are they on crack? I'm a woodworker.... 2x4's are overkill in most stand builds - though you can't beat them for being cheap.

mfzzzoo

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
coupedefleur said:
That's great! Painting the designs really makes it! I was going to suggest using corner/sash blocks rather than the regular kind, but it looks like that's what you got. The flat ends look a lot nicer.

MDF or any of the particle boards are not waterproof. Even if they've got a melamine coating, if that gets scratched or water gets at the cut ends they start to turn to mush.
Thank you all for the kind comments.

For the cinder blocks I got them from the gardening section in home depot, specifically picking the corner blocks. The edges are all chippy though. I have seen some nice blocks with rounded smooth edges in a construction site but I have no idea where to buy them as a consumer. That was after I bought the ones I have so I didn't even bother ask the workers in that site. But just something to consider if you are planning on building a cinder block stand

In regard to the boards, as you suggested MDF/particle boards are no good for this kind of a stand. That's why I got 3/4 plywood. I glued two boards into one as one shelf with construction adhesive, probably not necessary. To make the surface look nicer I put on those self-adhesive coverings for drawers, bought from a dollar store.

Probably spent too much $ on the paint, as I bought the brown color at regular price. I bought a can of beige paint for $3 at the "Oops" section in home depot for priming and base color for the graphics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store