Chrisk's First Saltwater Tank (Journal)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice and quiet now. Welcome.

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
Went to the LFS today to pick up some food, and looked through there specials, needless to say I found something I like. They had a 3 1/2 inch Long Tentacle plate coral, for $12.00 its not like me to buy something without doing alot of research 1st, what I did know about this coral is that looking through online sellers this Coral @ this size was always around $40.00, and liveaquaria had it listed as "Easy" so I jumped on it. After some research tonight I found out it isn't the hardiest of corals, but whatever it was 12 bucks :) . So let me introduce you to the 1st coral added to my tank :D

104_0610.jpg 104_0611.jpg

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Looks nice! Maybe your clowns will host in the long-tentacle coral.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Looks nice! Maybe your clowns will host in the long-tentacle coral.
For the plates sake, lets hope not. Clowns can be pretty rough on corals and while LA might call the LT plates easy they are somewhat notorious for up and dying in captivity for no apparent reason. Just one of the corals that can do just fine for months-year and then just fall out. Although I like LA as far as quality goes, retailers are not the best source of information. Not trying to be a downer, just letting you know you may want to research this coral a bit more to help you get a better understanding of the issue people have had and keep an eye on it.

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
Thank you Joel...i'm really hoping they don't host it as they will probably damage the coral. Thanks for stopping by!!

Thanks greech...yeah one quick search the day I bought it revealed 20 + threads on another forum with this coral just up and dying for no apparent reason. I'm guessing that is why the Lfs had it so cheap? It sure is a good looking coral though!! Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones and it will not have any problems.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Great thread ChrisK! I have been walking into the salty part of my LFS everytime I go there and have been deciding if I'd like to step into a saltwater tank. I am debating on converting either my 10g (already have a SW light for the tank) or 29g to a coral tank with perhaps one or two non-coral inhabitants.

I have subscribed to your journal and am loving your tank! Can't wait to see more!!!

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
Thanks you Bubbles :) I don't know why it took me so long to come to the salty side, but let me say I love it, and wish I would have done it sooner. Thanks for subscribing!! :D

I added a small colony of Zoas last night, will get a shot of them later when I get home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store