Cichlid's Moving Gravel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Now, before you laugh and say "well, duh" I know many cichlids like to move gravel around and rearrange things. I am fairly new to cichlids and have recently set up my first cichlid tank with 3 neolamprologus crassus. I chose these fish because the young are known to help the parents raise newer generations of fry. These 3 fish have been at my parents house for the last year and a half or so under the care of my sisters. When I first researched them I found they are supposed to be easy to breed but with no babies since I bought them I wrote it off as having 3 males. However, I am starting to think that may not be the case and the issue of no babies may have been due to my sisters lack of attentiveness to the tank. Since moving to my my place with regular feedings and water changes etc. I have noticed a couple interesting things and I want some feedback from you guys.

I know I definitely have 2 males based on the pointier fins, size and body language. My third fish is about half the size of the other 2 with less pointy fins. The 2 bigger fish don't like each other and while they aren't really aggressive with each other they will chase the other out of its territory. The little one kinda just goes where it wants and is tolerated by the other 2. They are fattening up quite a bit since they have been here and I noticed something interesting today. A couple of the plants in the tank have been uprooted and I witnessed the smallest one moving gravel around. I have never seen any of the 3 fish move gravel around before today. Could this be some kind of nesting behavior? Or is it just that they are comfortable in the tank now. Long post, I know, but let me know what you think.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
It's very possible that "she" is preparing a location for eggs.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
Now, before you laugh and say "well, duh" I know many cichlids like to move gravel around and rearrange things

i would say anyone who laughs or demeans someone for posting needs a swift keelhauling as the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

i dont know the species but i bet ya gonna have babies

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
hey this is a pretty nice cichlid kinda just like the brichardi aye, yeah if the 3 have been together since they were young should be fine with the harem breeding factor and she may be getting a pit ready for some breeding action going on so good luck my friend..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It could be breeding behavior, or she has been watching Martha Stewart and is just decorating.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
it might be that they are preparing to breed.. i really cant tell you that ones female and ones male without photos

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Thanks all for the input. I was gone all day yesterday and when I came back this afternoon there was so much more gravel moved. During water changes today I dug out on of the caves I know the small one likes so the glass is showing. The little one immediately took up residence in that cave. Here are some pictures of the fish is question and the dominate male in the tank. Sorry the water seems so dirty...this was right after the water change when I really desturbed the gravel and was digging around in it.

Male:

Not a great shot but it shows you his fins really well.

Fish in question:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store