Cichlid's Moving Gravel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Seeing as these are from the brichardi complex I would guess that sexing would be similar...which is unfortunate because sexing brichardis is nearly impossible. Some say that males are larger and have longer and pointier dorsal and anal fins than females, however it isn't a 100% sexing method.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
i concur with jpappy if you go by the fins dorsal pointed for males and the size factors i would say its a female but these fish resemble the reg brichardi's so much and like my brichardi's that are breeding my female is smaller and you really cant count on the fins aye, yeah if you do breed start a thread here titled with the fish names and how they did so when someone googles them that info will pop up would be cool aye good luck.......

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
i agree jpappy, its almost imposable to tell

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Sounds like what my p. selocofi (sp?) do, and I have a tank full of different generations from the same breeding pair!

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
I have a male Black Convict that is in a 55 with a male Oscar and the Convict digs large holes in the gravel. I'm not sure why he does it as he has no-one to breed with. Right now he dug out a large hole near the rocks he can almost get underneath the rock with his hole. He gets in there and just peeks out at me. He's one silly fish. Not sure why he is so determined to have this hole but he likes it.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cheapeeper wrote:
I'm not sure why he does it as he has no-one to breed with.
alot of this is because its genetics fish just know what they need to do its like the wild animals know they need to breed to continue their species it works with all living creatures just like you observed some are just silly about it

Po.Verse

AC Members
Jul 19, 2008
I say its just them being cichlids, I have a Flowerhorn/Red devil, and he does it all the time, and theres no females in the tank. They move stuff when they get use to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store