Clean-up crew for my 72g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
How does this sound for a clean-up crew for my 72g tank?

In my new 72g tank, I plan on putting in:

3 bristlenose plecos
1 common pleco(already have in my very small tank)
4-5 Clown loaches
4-5 cories(either albino or julii)

Does this sound good or is it overkill?

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
The bristle-nose plecos get to be around 5 inches or so, the common pleco can get up to a foot or so, the cories are about an inch, and the loaches can be a couple of inches or so(not to sure though)

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Sounds okay except for a few things you may want to consider. I would leave out the common pleco as these fish can get up to 24 inches. Unless you know exactly which pleco you have of course and know it's size. Also the clowns will eventually outgrow this tank. They top out at over 12 inches so 4 or 5 twelve inch fish in that tank would be pushing it. On the flip side they do grow slowly and are always in demand so if you start small you will have them for years before they are too big at which time you will easily be able to trade them in. I might be tempted to get a few more cories as well. But the I love these cats so that is biased.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Are you sure about the smaller variety of clown loach? I've never heard of such a thing. There are a number of other loaches that stay small and will work as foragers and snail-killers, but I think the clowns are eventually going to get big. I'd check with the folks over at loaches.com… they'd know for sure.

If you ever get up that way, Pet Place II in Nanuet has a foot long clown in one of its display tanks. Big sucker.

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Sorry NJ Devils Fan, but I have been in the hobby for a very long time and I have never heard of a smaller variety of clown loach. Unless you are reffering to a different fish going by that name all clown loaches are Botia macracanthus. These botia's get up to and some even grow more then 12 inches long. If yours live long enough they will get to that size as well. There are many types of Botia, and yes some of them only get to a few inches if that is what you meant. I'd love to hear or read more if you have more info on these smaller clown loaches though.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I though that there were 2 different sizes because I got this catalogue and it had Clown loaches 1"- 2 1/2" for (whatever price) and 5"- 12" for (whatever price). I didn't think that the smaller ones would grow because it would be pretty pointless for someone to get the bigger one when they could get the smaller one and have it grow up in their tank.

Last edited:

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The little ones are just younger, the bigger ones are more expensive. I'd personally want to grow them out myself, but some folks apparently are willing to shell out the extra biscuits for a grownup fish. Botia macracanthus get big. If you're interested in loaches there are plenty of others in the small to medium range.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Clowns do get big. I would either drop the clowns or the bristlenose, and frankly, any less than 10 cories would be lost in that tank. If you want a clean up crew, keep the bristlenose. If you want spectacular colors, get the clowns.
If you want color and algae cleanup, get the clowns and a whole lot of otos (hopefully the common wont eat them).
good luck
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store