Clear Leaves, Dead Otto, holes in leaves and other maladies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Intensity, yes. Time, maybe not.
Yes, an increase in intensity.

I chose the light that I bought because it was advertised as having two separate cords so i could time both the bulbs for different times during the day.....or have a 'burst' of light in the middle of the light period. well, i realized 5 months after i got it that it only had one cord.

so i am going to have to rewire the sucker to get the second cord in there so i can bump it up from 65W to 130W for an hour or so during the day. it was what i really wanted to do with the setup.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
aren't the swords root feeders?

using fert tabs??

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Yes, an increase in intensity.

I chose the light that I bought because it was advertised as having two separate cords so i could time both the bulbs for different times during the day.....or have a 'burst' of light in the middle of the light period. well, i realized 5 months after i got it that it only had one cord.

so i am going to have to rewire the sucker to get the second cord in there so i can bump it up from 65W to 130W for an hour or so during the day. it was what i really wanted to do with the setup.
I do kinda the same thing, only opposite. I have it set up so that only one bulb is on for about an hour a day, and the rest are on the rest of the day, to create a sort of twilight period. Once I finish upgrading my lighting, I won't be able to do this as much (it'll be more half and half). I don't think it really has an effect on the plants, but I feel it gives the fish a more natural environment. They probably don't care.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
coach
I use eco complete also but ran into the same issue.. the eco complete can become depleted.I added fert tabs and now the plants are recovering.

most affected was my swords and crypts.

I just added the tabs about 1-2 weeks ago the sword now shows new green growth in the centers.

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Same deal here with the Eco Complete. The nutrients in it get used up after a while (for me it was a few months). After that, the root feeders like Swords need some additional substrate fertilization to compensate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store