Color Info When Breeding Mystery Snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neonalla

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2011
ok, I have purple, blue, and ivory mystery snails. I do not want to end up with a bunch of brown ones. Can I put blue and purple snails together without having brown babies? or which ones can I put together without this happening. I have other tanks I can put them in I just thought it would be pretty to have one of each color in a tank as long as when they have babies the colors are pretty.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
when i was breeding mystery snails (briggs) i never ended up with a brown snail due to colour crossing the parents. i had jade, blue, ivory, and golden adult snails. babies always ended up being those colours, and i never knew who was 'doing the deed' in the tank (with about 30 adult snails it was impossible to keep track! lol).

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I just got to thinking the same thing then I remembered this thread. Curious as well to know how the potential color scheme may be. Would it be based strictly on the current parents, or does genetics down the line play a role in it?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
now that i recall my first brigg babies were all golden, with the mom being ivory and the dad being golden (my only adult snails at the time - 2008). after that, i picked up a male that must've had blue genes but had a very green shell and a black foot. kept one of the largest females from the first batch of goldens and those four (ivory female, golden female, golden male, blue gene green male) were my foundation for the following 7 or so generations. so yes, genes do play a part, because i'd never introduced jade snails and ended up with jade babies.

i'm bored, so dug up a few old photos of my original adult snails (minus the goldens - can't find photos of them), one of the jades i raised, along with a shot of the babies i had at one point.

this is the ivory not too long after i got her in 2008
Image001.jpg

this is one of the jade babies i raised up, photo taken some time in spring of 2009. her shell is a fair bit darker than most jades i've seen/had.
beautiful brigg.jpg

this is the blue/green male
1-0005(2).jpg

and this is what the original ivory female looked like in early spring of 2009 - odd that there is blue showing in her whorls. and she colour changed on the top of her shell to a bright magenta! my theory is diet had a part to play - i feed a lot of frozen bloodworms. she lived about 2 years (spring of 2008 until spring of 2010).
1-0009(2).jpg

a handful of my babies!
snail palm.jpg

Image001.jpg beautiful brigg.jpg 1-0005(2).jpg 1-0009(2).jpg snail palm.jpg

tiki19

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
Wow - BEAUTIFUL IVORY bettamommy!!!

The woman I bought my snails from said she could only get bright pinks/red hues by keeping a few chestnuts (nice word for brown, but they were prettier than I would've expected) in the mix.

I know that's not much help, but somewhere I have a link that covers EVERY COLOR, and which mixes make what. I'll post it when I find it, but I think you might need some duller snails to achieve certain colors.

I'm like you, I only wanted pretty ones for my tanks. I had to special order them.

Again, great pics bettamommy! I'd buy that ivory... I don't think I've ever seen such a white foot :)

Last edited:

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i believe this is the link you were talking about: http://www.applesnail.net/

if it doesn't work to get you straight to the right page on that site, click 'geneology' then click 'colour genes in apple snails'.

luvmysnails

AC Members
Oct 31, 2011
I need to know how old the babies are before they show their adult color. i have about 80 i would like to have an idea of what color they will be so i can start thinking of homes or selling them. The mother is a gold and the father is a black (the one with strips and brown coloring, bought it as a "mystery" snail not color id). i also have a blue in the tank that i believe is a female. The gold is the mother of my babies, caught her breeding and laying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store