Compact Fluorescent light bulbs??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LC

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Toronto
Hey, anybody use compact fluorescent light bulbs for their tanks? My old incandescent brunt out so I was thinking to replace it with compact fluorescent. Is this a good idea interms of wattage per gallon and the fact that it's white light? I picked up a pack of 9 watts which equals about 40 watts as labeled on a package. Is that too much for a 5 gal or 10 gal tank both with a few plants in them? Thanks.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Compact fluorescent bulbs convert energy (watts) into light more efficiently than standard incandescent or regular fluorescent bulbs. Putting a screw-in compact fluorescent on top of your 5g or 10g will not be too much light (even for low light plants, but may not be enough for more light demanding plants), as any application of the incredibly dated watts per gallon rule doesn't apply to tanks that small. The WPG rule really doesn't even apply to compact fluorescent bulbs at all -- it's based on standard fluorescent bulb output. The only concern would be the color spectrum the compact fluorescent bulb produces. What is the color temperature of the bulb (Kelvin rating)?

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Hey, anybody use compact fluorescent light bulbs for their tanks? My old incandescent brunt out so I was thinking to replace it with compact fluorescent. Is this a good idea interms of wattage per gallon and the fact that it's white light? I picked up a pack of 9 watts which equals about 40 watts as labeled on a package. Is that too much for a 5 gal or 10 gal tank both with a few plants in them? Thanks.
I currently have 2x15w compact fluorescents over a 10 gallon aquarium. I use that tank to grow low-light plants.

So, IMHO if you put two 9 watt CFLs over a 10 gallon it would be enough light for low light plants.

The "watts" rating is energy used, not light output. That's why 9w CFLs can equal 40w incandescents.

Also, try to make sure you get bulbs that are around 6500K. Walmart sells them very cheap.

Sam

american_badger

Must buy more fish....
Aug 20, 2006
Kentucky
I've been looking to get two compact fluorescent bulbs for my 10 gal tank too. I don't have any live plants I just prefer the look of a fluorescent bulb. It says on the lid of my tank not to use anything greater than a 25 W incandescent, what wattage should I be getting of a CFB?

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Same for the CFBs. Ignore the marketing blurb about CFBs being equal to x times incandescents, you're only worried about the actual wattage.

LC

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Toronto
I just picked up some GE CFBs from Walmart this weekend. I got the 10w = 40w 6500K. Looks awesome in the 5gal. I'm going to pick up some more for my 10gal.

Have you guys notice a lot of moisture build up in the hood area, around the bulb housing?? Is that normal?

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
I have used these on my 5-10 gallons and 2 1/2 plastic betta tanks since the day i bought them and they are great for the plants but i have only low light plants haven't gotten to get the high lite ones yet have so much growth from the lows that i'm over run with them from cuttings and the such.. they are wonderful and the condesation from these hoods don't bother the lights yet anyway, have had them over a year now....

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store