compatability cory cat & german blue ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
36gal bowfront.searching various sites and cannot determine that these two species are possibly compatable.I am still in the fishless cycle mode and planning the future stocking selection.I really want to include several german blue rams,perhaps three dwarf rainbows,6 phantom tetras and would like to add three or four of the smaller corys.has anyone successfully maintained cory,s with the rams?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I have kept them both in the same tanks without issue. The pygmy varieties may not fare as well once the rams pair up and become aggressive to the other tankmates. Cories aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and tend to wander into guarded territory more easily than upper level swimming fish.

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
I was planning on three gr's /1m /2f .I would like to add a small school of a lower level species.The peppered /bronze cories perhaps./im a newbie and appreciate any suggestions.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The peppered/bronze cories would be fine in there.

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
:iagree:

Cories are ignored by most fish, I have kept cories anywhere from African cichlids to Parrot fish to Jack Dempseys. The fish really don't mind them. It's like the fish realize they clean the tank and don bug them.

I'd say go for some cories!

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
thank you all! I will plan on adding a small school of cory's [5-6] following several months of success with the small initial stocking of a easy to manage tetra/danio species.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I have a female GBR living in my tank with 13 peppered cories and have never seen any problems, I have even seen them sharing algae wafers (sometimes also with a rummynose tetra).

I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
You'll have to watch that aggression between the rams and be prepared to have to pull one or two if they are not compatible. You never know who's going to be the bully. Also, if a male and female pair up, you might have trouble with them ganging up on the "third wheel" and also possibly harassing the other tank mates when breeding. I never had rams breed (only had a single male and then two supposedly females that died within a month :( so never got to see breeding action); however, I did have kribs that I had been recommended should be fine in a 75g community, even when breeding, that killed 10 diamond tetras defending their babies. Cichlids are excellent parents, but they are not the best for community tanks when breeding. I would either watch them like a hawk and pull at the first sign of aggresion if breeding or just go with 2 females. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying that you should be cautious.

Otherwise, the cories should be fine with rams, as should the tetras and dwarf rainbows that you mentioned. The only issue that might pop up is aggression from the rams when they are defending their babies.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store