Compatible fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bethwood

AC Members
Nov 11, 2019
I was hoping to get a small fish or a group of tetras for my tank.

20191109_220732[846].jpg

I currently have a 75-gallon tank with 3 mollies, a blood parrot cichlid (about 5"), a baby severum, a dwarf gourami, an unknown mixed cichlid that is about 7" and a featherfin pleco (about 10"). My mixed cichlid ignores any fish under 5" and the rest of the bigger ones are all peaceful. Also, this is weird but my gourami will kill any white or pale-coloured fish (he leaves all the other ones alone).
I was thinking of either getting a zebra pleco, a ram cichlid, a group of cherry shrimp or a group of tetras.
I don't have a lot of experience with non-cichlids and was wondering if any of these fish would cause problems with my current fish and what would be the most compatible. My first choice would be the zebra pleco but I heard that large plecos don't always get along with smaller plecos, so that is my main concern. I'm open to other smaller fish as well so any info/suggestions would be great.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You won't be able to keep small community fish or shrimp with your cichlids very long. Also that is not a dwarf gourami but an opaline gourami (a male). They can have tempers. I would first identify which cichlid the hybrid is before getting any new fish, it could get very big and/or aggressive.

bethwood

AC Members
Nov 11, 2019
I have no idea what the hybrid is but I have had him for 6 years and he has never eaten or attacked any fish, he was also full size when I got him. He and my blood parrot don't bother any of the smaller fish, I'm confident they will not cause any problems for a new fish. I got a severum at around half an inch a year ago and neither of them bothered him at all. I know cichlids are usually aggressive but these guys really just arent, my pleco is more aggressive than both of them together.
Sorry, I thought opaline was a type of dwarf gourami and yeh he can be a little aggressive but only to specific fish.
I'm really just worried about my pleco not liking another pleco and if the mollies or gourami would bother rams or tetras. If the gourami gets along with molies and a 1/2" severum do you think he would be fine with some rams or tetras?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store