Confusion on freshwater filtration system

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chenning

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
Canister filters work well but you have to keep an eye on them for blockage issues. I'd suggest going to Aquabid and getting a used canister filter. I have three and paid less combined total than any one of them would cost new. I also highly suggest also using a large sponge filter as there is no harm in over kills.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
If you don't have a lot of money to invest I am still not sure why you are creating this more complex system when a simple off the shelf canister filter will do.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I too cannot see re-inventing the wheel when a nice canister can be had so reasonably. I just picked up a second Sunsun 302 for $39 shipped. They did cheap out a little over the years, in that it only came with a set of 3 cotton floss pads, when they used to come with a full set of media. No biggie for me, because I've got what I need to set it up anyway.

ProAquarist

AC Members
Aug 23, 2015
Keep things simple and just go with a good canister (Fluval FX6 on that size tank) or a couple AquaClear 110 HOBs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store