Convict Cichlids Won't Eat!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishwimp

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
I have four female convicts in a 20 gallon tank. Fluval power filter. They used to eat 8 pellets twice a day (16 pellets a day), now they MAYBE eat 8 a day. This has been a gradual decline in the amount they eat for maybe two months now. I tested the water and nothing has changed from how it's always been. They are still as active as they have always been the only thing that changed was they stopped eating as much and I don't know what to do? Please help!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
When was your last water change and what were the actual results of the test?

Is there any aggression between the fish? How big/old are they?

Reactions: fishorama

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I have four female convicts in a 20 gallon tank. Fluval power filter. They used to eat 8 pellets twice a day (16 pellets a day), now they MAYBE eat 8 a day. This has been a gradual decline in the amount they eat for maybe two months now. I tested the water and nothing has changed from how it's always been. They are still as active as they have always been the only thing that changed was they stopped eating as much and I don't know what to do? Please help!
what is the tank temperature?

Fishwimp

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
When was your last water change and what were the actual results of the test?

Is there any aggression between the fish? How big/old are they?
My last water change was Saturday, there is aggression between them, and they're about 2-2.5 inches each. The pH is 8 but everything else tested 0ppm except the nitrate which I recall was a bit high, the fish are less than year, a year old in August

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
My last water change was Saturday, there is aggression between them, and they're about 2-2.5 inches each. The pH is 8 but everything else tested 0ppm except the nitrate which I recall was a bit high, the fish are less than year, a year old in August
have you tried varying their diet?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, they're crowded in a 20g (long or tall). No male? That's not helping either...
What is your nitrate level?

4 females are too many in a 20g ; they can & will kill each other, until there's only 1 or maybe 2.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Well, they're crowded in a 20g (long or tall). No male? That's not helping either...

4 females are too many in a 20g ; they can & will kill each other, until there's only 1 or maybe 2.
IME I have to disagree with this post, I have 2-4 females in several tanks and they ALWAYS work as a team to repel advances from larger or more aggressive fish. However, the fact that the tank doesn't have the other apex fish to occupy their time may directly affect this so your post may have merit, however I don't see how it would stop them from eating. I typically don't see aggression among females in any of my cichlids unless a breeding pair forms in a tank that is too small. In fact, I keep many species in harems, tbh.

Fishwimp

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016

I actually had 2 at first but one was going to kill the other so I got two more and her aggression became much less. I thought about getting a male but feel they might fight over him?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store