convict/manganes mix fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Pleco, I don't know why your so up in arms; nobody's being mean or rude to you.

these fish have obviously crossbred in the wild so why is it such a no-no to do so in a tank
What fish are you refering to? The parrots or the ConvictXmanaguense?

Either way, I don't think the two species that produced these hybrid cross in the wild. Probably the only reason they do it in the tank is because there are none of their own species.

Pleco_Poop

AC Members
Sep 29, 2004
because i buy some fish and immediatly im told to execute them because they are a mutt, lets kill all the mut dogs too while were at it

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
The difference is that idiots out there try to sell hybrids as if they were purebreds because they don't know better. If I buy something that is supposed to have a certain set of genes, it had **** sure better have said set of genes...and some people don't know if they do or not. Look at the Trimacs that are sold in stores. Which are pure Trimac and which are FH? Most of the time, nobody knows.

Also, unnatural hybridizations for the sake of selling fish are just wrong. You could be bringing harm onto one or both parents in order to create something weird. Messing with nature in order to sell things is wrong...

Your argument also lacks merit when you consider that cross-breeds among dogs are still of the same species but hybrids are the result of mating different species.

Last edited:

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
because i buy some fish and immediatly im told to execute them because they are a mutt, lets kill all the mut dogs too while were at it
Nobody told you to kill them... they told you not to let them get into the public...

It's a shame your LFS is selling hybrids like they are.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Parrots are one of the few exceptions that have made it into the hobby even though they are hybrids. However, this is probably because they are vastly different than either fish that parented them, the midas and severum. First I highly doubt that the two fish you claim to have been the parents are, but its possible. I also agree that they should not have been allowed to be sold to the public, they should have been used as feederfish and that should have been that. I have never heard of the two species crossing, so I can't give you any information on the offspring other than they are not desirable fish to have. Second I have an issue with your screen name, it shows immaturity and so does your responses. Much of your grammar also makes it hard to understand the point you are trying to get across. You came here for our opinions, you didn't like them, all we are trying to do is help you out and let you know whats wrong with the situation. You don't need to get hostile and be rude to us for trying to help, next time please don't bother and waste our time if your not going to listen and take offense to what we have to say.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Technically, it's not possible for species to cross breed. That's actually part of the definition of "species": that they are not capable of breeding with other species.

As far a pure breed dogs and mutts...they're all descended from wolves. Only human selective breeding has changed their appearance and temperments so greatly. Wolves and dogs can breed with each other, and even more notable, the offspring can reproduce.

This is unlike the mule which is a crossbreed between a horse and donkey(Actually a mule has a donkey for a father/horse for a mother. Whereas a 'hinney' has a horse for a father/donkey for a mother). In all but very rare circumstances with human interference, they can not reproduce to make more mules or hinneys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store