Coral Collecting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I did buy, and they are on hold for me, several coral frags. New Corals. Wish me luck. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Also, if you have a more accurate name for these corals, please feel free to let me know.

I will add to this list as I collect.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
Nice selection. The Goniopora's dont fair to well in aquariums. They are one fo those corals that really never thrive. The reason for this is where they originate form. In the wild the water they are in is so murky you can see more than a couple fo inches in front of you. They are huge nutrient needers. Also the water flow they are in is chaotic. They need alot of flow, nutrients, Phytoplankton. The only other thing is we dont know what they actually eat in the wild which is also why, they are difficult to keep. If you have a QT tank, I would put the corals there for a few weeks to inspect them for hitchhikers. Otherwise drip acclimate.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi Blown346, I've been doing some reading on the concerns that you raise and it seems that the care and feeding of the Gonioporas have come a long way and some of the myths/problems have been addressed and overcome. For the feeding part, it has been decided that the same Ingredient mixture is all about the same and Rod's Food addresses these issues. I should have great circulation in my 90 gal bow front with 4 Koralia 4's running plus the return from the sump. I may split the return and add in a SCWD or replce 2 of the Koralias and add a timed wave maker. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated and makes me study that much more.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, I got a little time so I decided to update the coral collection list I've started.

CORAL COLLECTION

If you see something that is misnamed, please let me know so I can make the correction(s).

I also found what I think will be a great light for the frag tank.

fishcrazy101

AC Members
Oct 11, 2008
I have the 72" lighting system that is the same brand as that, light works great but would do a lot better if you change the halide bulbs per a friends tank. I am buying phoenix halide bulbs to stick in it and made a drastic difference in my friends tank.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Thanks. I'll remember that when the time comes to change them out.

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
I have the same kind of light on my 50 gal. and I replaced the bulb and it did wonders and then I bought an icecap ballast and it blew away the ballast that came with it. My wife even commented how much brighter it was and she doesn't usually pay that much attention.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
For the time being, I'm only using it to hold and grow the frags that are coming until my display tank is set up. Once the frags get big enough, I may frag them and then the frag tank will be put to good use. What MH bulb did you replace with and which Icecap ballast?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store