Couple questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
i just tested nitrites and nitrates and the nitrite is at 0.5 and there is no nitrates
what kind of live rock did you get again?

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
fiji. i was told that it was partially cured. it didnt really have a smell to it

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
fiji. i was told that it was partially cured. it didnt really have a smell to it
oh yeah, ok. 3 weeks is okay for partially cured then. if it smelled a little bit, it was not fully cured.

you're on schedule I guess. you should def be seeing nitrate readings very soon. shouldn't be much longer....

Are you going to add the initial clean up crew soon? I would think you could in the next few days to week most likely.

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
yeah i was going to ask next when do u think i should start to invest in a clean up crew. would cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp be ok together and with crabs and snails and such. Also for a starfish, would it need a lot of room on the sand??

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
yeah i was going to ask next when do u think i should start to invest in a clean up crew. would cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp be ok together and with crabs and snails and such. Also for a starfish, would it need a lot of room on the sand??
You want to start with some hermit crabs and snails most likely. there are a bunch of different kinds of snails to choose from. From what i've read about hermits, blue legged hermits tend to live the longest. But there are Red Legged, Scarlett, Zebra, etc, its really up to you!

In a 55 gallon tank, I'd start with about 20 hermits and like 10 Snails and see how they are doing after a week. You can add more anytime really, but I don't see the sense in overstocking your tank as its so new and food sources may not be as abundant just yet. Most people with 55 gallon live rock tanks have alot of clean up crew... Remember in saltwater, start small and build up.
If in time, you see your tank getting over run with algae and detrius, you can get some more clean up crew.

I think Peppermint Shrimp and Cleaner Shrimp would do fine together in a tank that size. They would probably almost never run into each other anyways. I would wait on the shrimp until you get nitrate readings. You'll want to insist your nitrates stay below 20ppm with Shrimps. I know you don't have any nitrates yet, but you will soon. Shrimpys can be sensitive to high nitrates. And your Shrimp shouldn't bother your hermits or snails any.

Starfish depending on the species require more sand or less. Some are sand sifting stars and those generally need a few inches of sand to cruise and buro in. I read a book last night that stated you shouldn't have a starfish in a tank less then 100 gallons, but I've certainly seen it done before. I don't know how long these people have been successful at keeping the stars in smaller tanks, but people do it. You'd have to research the specific type you want or post a new thread about it. I'm not too confident in my starfish knowledge to give you a great answer. :grinyes:

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
ok thanks so the hermits and snails would do fine in my tank that hasnt cycled yet? and u think i should get around 20 hermits and 10 snails right? sounds like a lot. WOuld emerald crabs do fine with hermits? i should also put the lights on a timer when i get them right? One more question, is it possible to have too much current? i got 2 30 gal powerheads and a fluval 4 plus under water filter.in total, they pump 680 gallons per hour. is this too much or too little?

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
ok thanks so the hermits and snails would do fine in my tank that hasnt cycled yet? and u think i should get around 20 hermits and 10 snails right? sounds like a lot. WOuld emerald crabs do fine with hermits? i should also put the lights on a timer when i get them right? One more question, is it possible to have too much current? i got 2 30 gal powerheads and a fluval 4 plus under water filter.in total, they pump 680 gallons per hour. is this too much or too little?
yeah, the initial clean up crew should be okay. you dont want sky high levels but low levels they can survive in.

It sounds like alot, but when you have algae growths everywhere, you'll be glad you got them running around working. I have 9 hermits and 4 big snails in my 30 gallon tank, plus hundreds of baby snails that just appeared. You can always buy 10 hermits and 5 snails and just keep working up as needed. It's really up to you, I just threw out a ballpark number.

You don't have to put the light on when you get your clean up crew.

I think emerald crabs would be okay, I believe they really like algae, especially bubble algae. I would research that more because i'm not 100% familiar with emerald crabs.

Yes, it is possible to have too much current. If your rocks fall over and your fish blow out of the tank its too much. lol. seriously though, if your fish can't swim and everything is blowing around its too much. but alot of circulation and water turnover is excellent for marine tanks. as long as it doesn't look ridiculous I think it would be okay.

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
Thanks. i noticed some tiny white dots on some parts of the tank. its very tiny and thers more in some spots than other spots. what do u think it is?? up close its shaped like a snowflake. i also noticed a little snail in there. and i dont need to worry about lighting with the snails and shrimp and crabs right?

Last edited:

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
what ever they are theres a lot of them. i think im going to purchase a clean up crew in a couple days. maby the shrimp, crabs or snails will eat them. I wouldnt have to feed them right?
another thing, are airstones ok for marine aquariums?? i was just curious about it because i no they help put oxygen in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store