Cycling with fish: species

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks for all the help, I cant wait for tomorrow now:)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just remember, small (young) readily need a food source, such as algae and the bio-film from an established tank. I would not recommend cycling with them at all. It is not uncommon to see the following in their bios.." Aquarium specimens may starve for lack of algae or other plant matter; algae wafers or other low-protein foods are recommended. Keepers should watch for the abdomen to take on a sunken appearance, indicating insufficient nutrition."

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^^ Good call Sir.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
ok, I will keep that in consideration. Does that mean that an adult would be ok?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes, I would think it would be safest to stick with fish that are adult. You will not have the ability to feed heavily, like some young fish would require. You have to feed very lightly until you've established the fact your tank parameters show nothing but nitrates.

I've also read that herbivore fish like otos will not do well in a "new" tank. They need the algae and bio-film an established tank will provide.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
If you are doing an amazon biotope, is the tank heavily planted? I have done a few tanks where I add plants/used filter media and an ammonia source and in about a week (to allow plants to establish themselves) I start to add fish. I've never had a problem doing it this way either...

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I just wanted to personally thank you for considering not doing a fish in cycle. You should be able to save some time by asking on Craigslist if anyone will spare some filtration media so you can seed your tank. Or even ask a local fish store. Maybe not a Petco or Petsmart... But a good quality one so you'll have less chance of harboring some disease when you do get your fish.

I found out recently that the substrate can really make a difference in how much beneficial bacteria you have. So if you're not going to seed your substrate or going with a bare bottom tank, be sure to get a filter rated for a larger tank than you have or use a temporary 2nd filter.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I am adding plants tomorrow along with some driftwood. I will have plants but I will pick up something that carries the bacteria, whether it be gravel or filter media. I will also see what they have in terms of fish to start with.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
What about neon tetras or cories?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I love neon tetras! Ive realized that they are better when added last IME. I say so because everytime i put them in the tank first i seem to lose more than i keep. So i just add them last. They are finicky fish but once you get a nice size school for your tank youll be happy with them. As for cory cats... Well theres a whole variety of them. I personally dont have any but i have been looking at some panda cories because there so dang adorable!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store