Danio sourcing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swishy

AC Members
Jul 19, 2022
I've started to get into Danios recently and am trying to breed them. I got a couple of interesting ones from a local store (long fins), but they don't always have them in stock. I'm starting to branch out.

I'm noticing there's not many other options locally (in spite of the fact we're in one of the largest metropolitan areas of the country), and looking online has been kinda scary. (many of the online stores have terrible reviews online and with the BBB,,, particularly some of the ones from Florida). Does anyone have recommendations for online stores that have a wide variety of danios and can reliably deliver?

I'm also very curious what other hobbyists think about the online image v reality of the fish. It seems like there's very little consensus on what a 'long-fin' danio actually looks like and/or the sellers are not putting that much effort into making sure what they are selling is what's on the site. Many/most of the 'long fins' for sale don't even appear to actually have long fins. I'd love to hear from others.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you are in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, have you looked for a local(ish) fish society or club?

There are plenty of online retailers that are absolutely reputable, but unless you are prepared to pay accordingly, I doubt that they are going to photograph every single fish that they sell, you are more likely to get longer fins directly from a breeder rather than as a store that will get them from a wholesaler or farm.

I'm really not a danio guy, so cannot make specific recommendations, but maybe you want to ask sellers questions specifically.

Reactions: Swishy

Swishy

AC Members
Jul 19, 2022
If you are in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, have you looked for a local(ish) fish society or club?

There are plenty of online retailers that are absolutely reputable, but unless you are prepared to pay accordingly, I doubt that they are going to photograph every single fish that they sell, you are more likely to get longer fins directly from a breeder rather than as a store that will get them from a wholesaler or farm.

I'm really not a danio guy, so cannot make specific recommendations, but maybe you want to ask sellers questions specifically.
Thanks for replying. Yeah, I've looked online for local groups and am also coming up blank there as well. I don't really use Facebook lately but I was expecting alot more than I'm finding.

I used to have fish alot when I was a kid and it seemed very different back then. Today it just seems like there's hardly any life in the hobby anymore. I'm wondering if COVID, the economy, etc. etc. are just decimating the trade. I know there was a shop up the street that JUST closed a few months ago as we were starting to get into it. It had been there 12 years. It was sad to see it go, and I'm starting to feel very disheartened.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would say that the hobby is changing, not necessarily going away.

Things like plants, aquascaping, shrimp, nano fish, saltwater are likely more popular now that when you wer in the hobby previously, Also lots of hobbyists are now on YouTube or Facebook rather than online forums or meeting in person.

But local clubs are still around, attendance is likely down, but they are still going, new stores are opening, Facebook groups are tending to become private now because of posting rules, so they may be harder to find.

I know that we (My better half and I) both work from home, so are open to driving longer distances than most folks. but there are bunches of clubs within about 4 hours from home (I said we didn't mind driving) we don't go to them all, and even less since Covid, but they are certainly out there.

Just because it is a list that comes most readily to mind (Not saying it is the best, nor the least biased, I just remember it) - https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/links.html may help you find something out there.

Don't lose hope, the hobby is still alive !

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome back to the hobby & to AC!

Since you live in a big market area I would suggest contacting shops by driving distance to see if the have long fin danios in stock & how many they have. Last time I was in lfs LF danios were the "usual" kind anymore. Ask if they can order them for you (they pay shipping). I think mail order would be quite expensive for what should be a very common fish. I would only go that route for other more unusual danio species, not zebras of any variety.

While I prefer independant shops, have you looked looked at big box stores near you? (Petco, Petsmart, etc) They often have a week or 2 guarantee...but I'd also quarantine unless they'll be "only fish" in your tank...best for breeding...You do understand that you'll need 2 tanks minimum to successfully breed & raise them right? We can discuss that if you want, later.

If you give a hint as to where you live someone may have suggestions for clubs or shops. Not your address please, just something vague like near NY, Atlanta, LA etc...We ACers live all over, maybe we can help.

Another species kinda similar to zeebs are white cloud mountain minnows. As easy to breed but I'm not sure they come long finned, they might...just an idea if you can't source LF danios easily. You might look in the low "feeder fish" tanks for both...Just some ramdom thoughts while I make dinner...

Swishy

AC Members
Jul 19, 2022
Welcome back to the hobby & to AC!

Since you live in a big market area I would suggest contacting shops by driving distance to see if the have long fin danios in stock & how many they have. Last time I was in lfs LF danios were the "usual" kind anymore. Ask if they can order them for you (they pay shipping). I think mail order would be quite expensive for what should be a very common fish. I would only go that route for other more unusual danio species, not zebras of any variety.

While I prefer independant shops, have you looked looked at big box stores near you? (Petco, Petsmart, etc) They often have a week or 2 guarantee...but I'd also quarantine unless they'll be "only fish" in your tank...best for breeding...You do understand that you'll need 2 tanks minimum to successfully breed & raise them right? We can discuss that if you want, later.

If you give a hint as to where you live someone may have suggestions for clubs or shops. Not your address please, just something vague like near NY, Atlanta, LA etc...We ACers live all over, maybe we can help.

Another species kinda similar to zeebs are white cloud mountain minnows. As easy to breed but I'm not sure they come long finned, they might...just an idea if you can't source LF danios easily. You might look in the low "feeder fish" tanks for both...Just some ramdom thoughts while I make dinner...
There are (2) relatively local indy shops. Both are adequate, but not spectacular. The first shop where I got my original stock of (5) danios doesn't have them in supply right now and are 'going on vacation' for a couple weeks which may or may not indicate they're going under. Either way they're not ordering new fish at the moment. The other gets a regular supply of fairly regular danios but doesn't seem to have the ability to special order anything interesting.

The Petco that's about 20 mins away has a dismal supply of danios. All basic Glofish that don't look healthy.

I'm specifically trying to get long-fin danios, and I saw something online called a 'veil-fin' which was regal. I've got this silly idea that I could start creating some pretty amazing cross-breeds, but finding anything worthwhile is an uphill battle, and I'm starting to wonder if I was even able to create the fish I want would there even be that many hobbists around to appreciate it?

I'm in a suburb/township immediately adjacent to a major city, but property values are so high my guess is that pet shops are not viable in the area anymore. No new shops are opening and the old ones are shutting down. I'm very private about my specific region.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, if you can't even give us a vague hint like SE US or something, we'll be less than helpful. You get what you give. I live where property values have gone through the roof too...Nice for us...not for lfs, I get that, lol. But you're a mighty bit more paranoid than I am if you can't even say a general area...Geez man! Get a grip!!

Yeah, there's that selling thing too. Not to dis you but $1.99 (or less) fish are not where I'd start breeding if I wanted to sell them for any profit...or sell them at all...But if it's just for fun, have at it! Breeding is fun, selling, IMO, is lesser. It gets old if too easy & "common" fish, well, that can be problematic. I think you'd be well to set your sights higher if breeding & eventually selling is your goal.

Swishy

AC Members
Jul 19, 2022
Well, if you can't even give us a vague hint like SE US or something, we'll be less than helpful. You get what you give. I live where property values have gone through the roof too...Nice for us...not for lfs, I get that, lol. But you're a mighty bit more paranoid than I am if you can't even say a general area...Geez man! Get a grip!!

Yeah, there's that selling thing too. Not to dis you but $1.99 (or less) fish are not where I'd start breeding if I wanted to sell them for any profit...or sell them at all...But if it's just for fun, have at it! Breeding is fun, selling, IMO, is lesser. It gets old if too easy & "common" fish, well, that can be problematic. I think you'd be well to set your sights higher if breeding & eventually selling is your goal.
I don't think I said anything about 'selling' necessarily. I just want to create a thing of beauty that others would be able to appreciate. From the looks of the landscape things once thought 'common' may not be so taken for granted as of late. This should be easy but it's not.

Additionally even if I was trying to sell the exact price would not be as important as the margin and quantity sold, but again, this is a hobby for me. My professional occupation is something else entirely, and pays well enough.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't "need" the $$ either but there's a loss/cost ratio that can't be ignored no matter the "quality" of your fish. What will you do with all the hoped for offspring? Or is it a 1 & done breeding thing? That's ok too. Good luck!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another species kinda similar to zeebs are white cloud mountain minnows. As easy to breed but I'm not sure they come long finned, they might...
They do come long finned, I have some, got ours from a friend at a fish club event, but they are sold frequently in stores, at least around here.

they haven't really bred because they have been un an aquarium with utricularia, but that should now be remedied, if you would like some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store