Debilitated Diamond - should I put down?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
If none of the other tank inhabitants share the same symptoms, I doubt this is any type of parasite or bacterial thing. Given that, I wouldn't treat the tank, nor would I recommend any meds or treatments unless you know reasonably well what you are treating for. Stores want to sell products and are going to recommend everything and anything on the shelves.

If the fish isn't getting beaten to death, eats, is not in visible distress and you don't mind it in your tank, let it ride.
Aw thanks for this advice. Yeah he's been like this a while and nobody else had symptoms anything like him.

He just looks so sad though. Which is why I was considering clove. It breaks my heart either way. I've had a tough time with the fish losses I've had in the past month. As corona rages outside I'm feeling the most stress from here in my tank.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Update. Caught him pooping. Is this white stringy poo a confirmation of an internal parasite?

If so is there a medication I can feed him while the tank is being treated with Paraguard for ich? I'm confident I could keep him isolated in a large net.

Thank you

NoodleCats NoodleCats FreshyFresh FreshyFresh

20200327_131338.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
What food has he eaten last?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Okay then its not the food turning the poop white. I feed the same flakes.

I suspect internal parasites but lets see what others think too.

Reactions: angelcraze

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Probably Hexamita/Spironucleus but it is important to realize those parasites are not the cause, but just a symptom. Those "parasites" are normally present in small numbers in the intestines of fish. When the fishes immune system is suppressed by whatever reason, they will multiply.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Probably Hexamita/Spironucleus but it is important to realize those parasites are not the cause, but just a symptom. Those "parasites" are normally present in small numbers in the intestines of fish. When the fishes immune system is suppressed by whatever reason, they will multiply.
Thank you, Hmm. Yeah I hadn't any problems with any other of the fish and water parameters were great until I introduced new fish and some of them died a couple days later in the tank. He looked emaciated prior to this. Then the ich broke out :( Ich is almost gone, and water parameters seem good, plus now adding voogle for fish health.

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Can you set him up a hospital container/tank? Is any other tetra showing ich still?

Do you have any live plants? Or just anubias? Some plants are tolerant of lower salt conditions. Paraguard can be combined with aquarium salt for ich treatment.

Fwiw, I might treat him/ them against Hexamita as a precaution. There's a safe effective way to do this.
See here

Last edited:
Reactions: dudley

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Can you set him up a hospital container/tank? Is any other tetra showing ich still?

Do you have any live plants? Or just anubias? Some plants are tolerant of lower salt conditions. Paraguard can be combined with aquarium salt for ich treatment.

Fwiw, I might treat him/ them against Hexamita as a precaution. There's a safe effective way to do this.
See here
angelcraze angelcraze Thanks so much! I had already been using some salt to treat the ich, though I didn't dose any last water change. I just ordered metroplex+focus+garlic guard. I only have anubias and they are tolerating everything fine. I will add salt again. My plan is to sequester him in the net and feed him the meds directly.

I had a hospital tank set up a bit ago when the new fish started dying and some seemed to have fungus. The ones in hospital tank all died anyway and it was stressful moving them into it and keeping it running etc.. I'm going to try the net method for this guy and see how it goes.

It looks like the ich is about gone, leftover spots healing up. I know I need to treat the tank for a while longer to make sure it stays gone though.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Just an update. He wouldn't eat from the net and then strainer I sequestered in him in my main tank. I hadn't set up a hospital tank again because I only had a broken filter, but I ordered a new one and it arrived today so he is now in a 10 gallon hospital tank with the filter seeded with some media from my main tank. I dosed the hospital tank with Metroplex and salt and voogle.

Main tank seems healthy now with no ich for a few days. Yay.

We'll see if I can save this guy. Once that's sorted the tank will be used as a QT tank for future fish. I currently have one lonely lemon that survived the disaster in my main tank who I hope I can find buddies for again. Kinda hesitant to buy from the same stock I got him from but it's the only local place with lemons, if they even still have them by the time I'm ready and if they're open. But QT tank is ready for them!

And I now only have 3 rainbow tetras which I'd like to bump up to at least 6 which I'd have to order online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store