deer hunting opinions, att. omega

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
graysilm said:
I love deer hunting. too bad i have almost eaten all of my venison. Guess i'll have to wait until next october to hunt again, unless i take a trip.
I usually have a ton left over. My friends love it when hunting season comes around. That is when I clean my freezer out :eek:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Squirrel meat is actually very good !
One of my favorites actually, and yes I've heard all of the tree rat comments.
Fried squirrel with gravy and buiscuits for breakfast, nothing quite like it.

That being said, only goes for those that see that the meat is not wasted. Hunting for food is great, hunting just to kill is wrong. I myself enjoy rabbit, partridge, duck, deer and especially moose.
I'll probably need a flame proof suit before the night is over, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with this comment as well. Hunting purely for killing is not IMO a decent practice. However Hunting with a purpose does not have to involve eating what is killed. Coyotes, and groundhogs come to mind immediatly. But if we wanted to get down to Brass tacks we could throw in possum, muskrat, rats, mice, skunks, ground squirrels, gophers, prarie dogs, So on and so forth. There are nuisance animals that need to be killed, and hunting is a great way to take care of that.
Dave

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Squirrel tastes like rabbit to me. I've had squirrel and dumplings. It's not bad. Then again, I'll try just about anything at least once.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
There are some places that will take your dead wildlife for animal food. We have a wildlife park near us, and if hunters don't want their deer, they will take them to feed the wolves and other carnivores..
If you know you have more than you can eat, check for places like this.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
TheMightyQueenPixie said:
AHHHH, you made me spit my drink!!! Apparently "squirrel pie" insnt bad...
Lol...actually, we made a stew with turnips, potatos and carrots....it was very good...

Only trouble....is getting all the dang hairs off the little buggers !! You skin em but you still have all these hairs that you can't get rid of...lol....ah well, I suppose those too shall pass ! :D

Difference in squirrel and rabbit meat. Rabbit is white meat...squirrel is all dark meat. Rabbit tasts more like chicken....squirrel to me is not as dry as rabbit and more like...well....turkey....lol...(the dark meat on a turkey)

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
What if you singed the hair off first??? just a thought...Personally they look a little too much like rat, but I will eat anything once.
Ahh Zee stench would be too much.

Squirrels are tough enough that skinning them without getting hair on the meat is difficult, but not impossible. Most of the hair that gives you trouble is cut loose when you make your initial incision through the hide. Just be extra carful during that art of the process and most hair will be avaioded. It's the same principle with most anything, but since squirrels are both small and really tough they tend to be messier when done. Groundhog is the only thing I've found to be worse, and I don't often skin and eat a groundhog.

There are some places that will take your dead wildlife for animal food. We have a wildlife park near us, and if hunters don't want their deer, they will take them to feed the wolves and other carnivores..
If you know you have more than you can eat, check for places like this.
In this state we have a "hunters for the homeless" program. Any hunter who doesn't want their meat can take the animal to a packing plant that is in the program and they will pack the meat and give it to the homeless. There is still some processing cost to the hunter, but for a small donation (processing fee) they essentially provide a lot of people with good meals. I wish they'd let us shoot a few thousand geese for the same purpose, It is impossible to walk around our lake without sliding on the green bowtie's.
Dave

Slick Fork

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Wild Rose Country
Ahhh Prairie Dogs!!!!!!!

My favourite prairie rat memory was the day me and a buddy found a bolt action .22 target rifle at a garage sale. It was a piece of art this gun great big octagon barrel, solid reciever and for twenty bucks we couldn't say no!!

We put a bipod and a 4-12 power scope on it, set up on a little knoll and began picking the prairie dogs off from 125 yards. I think we had 4 or 5 down before the little rodents knew what was happening!! We must've gone through an entire brick of shells that day!

That was almost as memorable as the day I discovered a 7mm Rem Mag is overkill on a porcupine!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store