Desktop Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
So I've been looking at picking up a small aquarium for my office. Maybe a small planted shrimp tank. I know there are a lot of small tanks on the market but I was hoping you guys might have some ideas on brands/models to lean towards based on what I'm doing.

My plan is to put this lil' tank on my filing cabinet (the green thing next to my desk.)
Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 1.54.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 1.54.04 PM.png

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
i have 2 Evolve 4 gallon tanks running right now, and they're nice. Easy to setup and access all the relevant bits, plus the include a decent cover. I also have a Spec 5, and really like it. What are the measurements? What else is on there? Easy access to outlets, secure from being bumped?

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
well I don't have a tape measure on me.. but i'd guess about 14" wide 30" deep.

Right now All I've got on there is my water bottle, a bottle of aloe for my sun burn and a small lego spaceship.

It's a pretty solid filing cabinet, and because of where it is, I don't see it getting knocked around.. I'm the only one who walks by it. If mu boss comes in the office he likes to sit on the opposite filing cabinet while we chat..

There are outlets to the left of my desk.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I'm actually at the point where I'm considering building my own nano tank. That way I could do something fairly shallow (8 or 10 inches maybe?)

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I like both of those tanks.. Hows the lighting on them? Plant friendly?
Those setups both have surprisingly good lighting. I've seen many an Evolve tank that had pico reefs (including corals), and if I recall correctly, the Spec 5 has pretty similar lighting.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm actually at the point where I'm considering building my own nano tank. That way I could do something fairly shallow (8 or 10 inches maybe?)

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I think it's a bit risky at that depth. As I understand it, most heaters have the safety equipment installed at the top, triggered by unusual heat rising. You would be forced to install horizontally (rendering the safety mechanisms useless) or use one (or more) of those heater pads that are preset to raise to either a specific temperature or a specific value above room temperature, and are not adjustable. Also, at that depth, temperature changes would happen pretty quickly, and the more surface area there, the greater the amount of evaporation. That depth also makes it more difficult to use anything beyond a sponge filter or low pressure canister filter system.

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
i have a 6g fluval edge. i love it, it looks great. it doesnt come with a heater so you will need to buy one. and my heater i have in there, i have to lay horizontal ish.. the tank is only like 12ish inches tall. i have 8 of these boraras maculatus (sp?). they're like super tiny rasboras..they'd get along with the shrimp just fine too. hes what they look like http://www.seriouslyfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Boraras-maculatus.jpg

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I think it's a bit risky at that depth. As I understand it, most heaters have the safety equipment installed at the top, triggered by unusual heat rising. You would be forced to install horizontally (rendering the safety mechanisms useless) or use one (or more) of those heater pads that are preset to raise to either a specific temperature or a specific value above room temperature, and are not adjustable. Also, at that depth, temperature changes would happen pretty quickly, and the more surface area there, the greater the amount of evaporation. That depth also makes it more difficult to use anything beyond a sponge filter or low pressure canister filter system.
good point, though tetra i know makes small <7" heaters..

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The lighting on the Edges is typically insufficient for much of anything to grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store