Did Bristle Worms kill my clown...really? (with pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Good grief...those guys are fearless all hanging out in the open like that. Shouldn't be hard to catch anyway!

Not to rain on the parade, but removing what you see will result in the same picture very shortly. ;) If you have those worms out 'n about like that, you haven't even scratched the surface of what ya got in there. ;) They'll balance out the population on their own. It will still be a huge one (most are), but it's not like you'll have nothing but worms in there. I think on an old computer I have the pic (or maybe Smitty does) of the largest one I've seen in any tank. I will ask him about it, and see if he has it. We went ahead and laid a tape measure out because you wouldn't have believed this behemoth was close to 3'. Yes, feet. And it was gi-normous in it's girth. Definitely some in-breeding going on in his tank! lol I've had some pretty big ones, but never that big.

As to your clown, it's usually anyone's guess when it comes to one dying, unless you were cycling with one. I didn't see your params, so I don't know. But as for one of those bristleworms nabbing him? He would never have allowed it. But a small fish like that can die one day and be completely devoured the next, just by a cleanup crew.

Riverserver has the right idea - scoop some out and put 'em in gladlock containers and you'll find someone wanting to seed their tank. You'll never run out, unless you poison them all. I had triggers that had to learn the hard way. I didn't see the action, but I certainly recognized the quills sticking out of him - and those are some hard fish. Like the others have said, careful o' the hands. And don't trust cute surgical gloves, either. :eek: Welding gloves - heavy duty welding gloves. (just kidding about the welding gloves) :D But if you can't just scoop them into a container, try tongs. That's for worms in/on the sand. As for the rock, good luck! Stab 'em with a toothpick and hope to get them. lol I'm just remembering Smitty going crazy back in CA trying to "get rid" of his bristleworms. He finally ceded that he wouldn't and that they weren't BAD. He was suffering from the shock of the Wormzilla we pulled out while doing a swap. :)

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
dang, those are bold worms! I only ever catch glimpses of mine at night with a flashlight and then they dart right back into their cave. They creep me out, but I'm leaving them be. If I ever see a 3 foot long worm though....:nilly:

I think I saw a pic of one bigger than that on another site. Some guys had been called in by a member of their reef club to come get this thing out of a ladies tank because she and her daughter had seen it and were freaking out. Have to find that post.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
oooo, scary, I feed a lot too. I've already seen at least 2 that are around 6". I'm guessing based on how long it took them to go by as I shined a light in and saw one end going into a hole and the other end coming out of a hole.

Last night, I saw one out completely though. Quite a comical little face actually. He had antennae on his head and a large mouth. He was also really iridescent and shimmery. Very pretty coloring.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store