Difference between Blue Ram and GBR?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stussy28

AC Members
Apr 22, 2008
Buffalo NY / State College PA
My LFS has blue rams for sale. They are not gold like german blue rams but actually blue. Are these just different colors of the same fish, or are they different species? I only seem to be able to find information on GBRs.

Thanks in advance

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I wouldn't think that there is a difference between those two.

There are a couple of variants within the German Blue Ram species:

Ballon Ram: shorter, stockier body than a typical GBR
Gold Ram: Lacks the dark marking on the typical GBR body

I'm thinking the "blue" that you are seeing on the fish in the LFS is just the normal iridescence on a healthy GBR.

Never heard of a Ram with a blue body. Maybe some kind of an Apisto?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
two rams

Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi- blue Ram

Mikrogeophagus Altispinosa-Bolivian Ram

GBR is actually a common name given to the Ramirezi that was bred in Germany for the specific blue trait.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Depends how you define "blue". Mine look blue although the body colour is really beige with a lot of distinct blue sparkles.

stussy28

AC Members
Apr 22, 2008
Buffalo NY / State College PA
Alright, thanks everyone. I asked the owner if they were german blue rams and he said that he doesn't know where they came from (lol) but the order form just had them listed as blue rams. Guess they just need a more stable tank/more time to color up.

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
From what I've read, the German Blue ram (I just bought one, female I think.) does not actually originate from Germany, rather Venezuela or South America I think. It's just called that because some guy in Germany breed that specific color.

That is one matured.

Mine is still very small. ~1 inch or so. she's in my 29 gallon with a double red Apistogramma Agazzi. They seem to get along fine in addition to a few equal sized gourami's to break up the aggression.

So German Blue Ram, Blue ram, you'll probably still be getting the same fish IMHO.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
'German' Blue ram is the common name given to Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi specifically bred in Germany although a lot of LFS's that import from SE Asia still label them as such. They are also bred for certain traits in the Czech Republic and other European countries as well I believe.

Pure "blue" rams are from SA.

Gold rams are the same species, just bred for the gold color. Just a variation.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
jpap.. the czech's say they actually breed the 'blue' colormorph before the germans ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store