discus fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
this is directed to Paul or any one that has good advice. I can't seem to find the messages about my Golden Dragon discus laying unfertilized eggs and as you suspected one laid more eggs on the side of my tank. I am hoping these are a matting pair I would sell them if they were I am not set up to hatch and take care of fry. I wanted to tell you a little more of my observations. Before eggs are laid or basically any time the two stay together almost all of the time when eggs are laid they are unfertilized and they have done this a second time when that happens only one of the Dragons, the larger one, looks after them they it resist eating but will make a dash to the food and get some and go right back to the eggs just like the first time the eggs are gone by morning. You mentioned a couple of possibility's such as two females tending the same spawn or a new pair not knowing what to do next. Does this info. tell you anything more? Thanks all.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
For those of you who have been following this thread and would like to read my response to Robert's above question that I posted in the conversation area, here it is copied below for you to see:

Quote:
"HI Robert,
No, there is nothing you have said here now that changes what you've already been told.

You either have 2 females playing out spawning, or a young pair where it appears the male hasn't gotten his role quite right yet, and is either not fertilizing the eggs at all, or trying to do it unsuccessfully somehow.
It often takes a newly parenting pair several attempts at spawning before 'the light goes on', and they finally get it right. Meantime, the 2 fish &/or other fish in the tank are soon eating the unfertilized eggs, which is also a very common occurrence.
All you can do is be patient - if it's 2 females there will continue to be 'blanks', and eventually they should stop - but even if not, no harm done. If it's a pair, hopefully the male will finally get it right, and you'll get wrigglers. At that point, you can sell them as a proven mated pair."
Unquote.

Reactions: anubis63

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
For those of you who have been following this thread and would like to read my response to Robert's above question that I posted in the conversation area, here it is copied below for you to see:

Quote:
"HI Robert,
No, there is nothing you have said here now that changes what you've already been told.

You either have 2 females playing out spawning, or a young pair where it appears the male hasn't gotten his role quite right yet, and is either not fertilizing the eggs at all, or trying to do it unsuccessfully somehow.
It often takes a newly parenting pair several attempts at spawning before 'the light goes on', and they finally get it right. Meantime, the 2 fish &/or other fish in the tank are soon eating the unfertilized eggs, which is also a very common occurrence.
All you can do is be patient - if it's 2 females there will continue to be 'blanks', and eventually they should stop - but even if not, no harm done. If it's a pair, hopefully the male will finally get it right, and you'll get wrigglers. At that point, you can sell them as a proven mated pair."
Unquote.

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
my discus fish is not eating from 4 to 5 days it has become thin what medicine should i use to make it well can any1 help me out with this problem
Ok, I've raised discus for a number of years but I had a planted aquarium for the first time in the last 6 months. Have you tested your water for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates even GH and maybe KH these can cause Discus to just give up for a lack of better words. Also is your Discus submissive to other more aggressive ones and does it have a place to hide. How old is it? Small Discus need much more care than older ones they need to feed more often and are very susceptible to poor water quality I know because I had the same problem a while back. Leave a message after checking all of these perimeters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store