DIY canister with PVC pipe system

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Does the manufacturer of the pump recommend a vertical install/use of the pump?

mattmartindrift

AC Members
May 16, 2008
i have the same pump in my mini sump setup, it's dead silent. I just set it on top of a polishing pad and it's held in place by the plumbing.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
CK:

You did good!

Ditto Mg on his two questions.

This would be first class for a fluidized sand filter overlaid with fine mechanical media (ie. secondary mechanical filtration).

TR

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Looks good. So how to you get the water out of it before you open it? That seems like an opportunity to make a huge mess, with the opening toward the bottom there.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Actually Matt and excuzzzeme, I had to take the pump off so I could fit a clamp on the barb of the pump, to stop it from leaking, and it did make a pretty big mess. Thankfully I only have to open the canister every 4-6 weeks, or more, I re-arranged the media stacking so that the bio-media is last. Floss is great but if'n it gets to the barb, its clogs for some reason. I went about 4 weeks last time. As to address the mess issue, I have a hole that I put a piece of tubing in for CO2 ingestion in the intake. If'n I need to open the filter I just drain enough so that hole is above the water line to break the suction, then at the WC valve, blow until most of the water is pushed back into the tank. Put a catch pan below the filter, and just remove the filter. Not easy but it does work, and seeing as how I won't need to get into the filter all that often, I'm not changing it.

Bob: No, Pentair Aquatics does not suggest anything about a vertical mounting, but pump doesn't mind one bit, and it is indeed dead silent this way. Heck, my eclipse 5 filter is louder than that thing, I'm spoiled, lol. I think it rivals sound levels with the Renas and Ehiems. I don't have a DB meter, but I can't hear it over the two computers in the same room.

MG, Currently holds a lot of media :D

Current stacking (in order
3 AC 70 foam pads (trimmed to fit)
6 layers of Rena XP 30PPI (cut up and trimmed to fit)
bag of crushed coral
2"-3" of floss thats been stuffed in there
2 pot scrubbies

I don't recommend this canister on larger tanks, 10-30g though, its perfect. If you can get something in about 4 1/2" diameter or larger when getting into the bigger tanks.

Stinker, That would be kind of throw-away canisters, due to the small opening, not practical. Although it might work for something like a bio filter (add lots of gravel) and might work also as a nitrate factory (not exactly a good thing)

Last edited:

Lil_Stinker

Jedi Master
Aug 25, 2007
...Stinker, That would be kind of throw-away canisters, due to the small opening, not practical. Although it might work for something like a bio filter (add lots of gravel) and might work also as a nitrate factory (not exactly a good thing)
What ever will we do with our empties :wall:

I like the FSB thought above... daisy-chained after this one...

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Since your filter is linear top to bottom and you have it plumed with your water change pluming, have you considered using media that will allow back flushing as part of your water removal. Then perhaps you would never have to remove the media or clean the filter. To me it looks like your configurations very close to a back flush system. Does the pump push or pull water through the filter? Very innovative and looks cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store