DIY Chiller Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Update on Chiller

Sigh, using an old fridge might give problems and it did of course.

The evaporator had a small leak, which means that it would loose its cooling in a matter of 3 - 4 weeks.
My fridge has an internal evaporator, sandwiched between inner and outer wall. Avoid them, since they run very hot and are not serviceable. The guys took it to the workshop, tested and build another second-hand evaporator on the back.
Next they took thin copper tubing, put that inside the fridge and had it connected to the pump and evaporator.
Basically we have now followed the original plan in my first post.
Only step still to take is to get Copper or Aluminium-Tube and replace the plastic-tubing from and to the fishtank for better transfer of heat.
Will be done but a bit later.
Cooling seems to increase like this.
Added an old Server-Fan to help heat-release from the pump.
Total cost, another 29 USD and 4 beers.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
umm, I don't think the metal tubing is such a good idea, it will someday start leeching into the tank and take a few fishes lives... stick with plastic...

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Mmmh, I've been wondering about that for quite some time. My reasoning against it is all the copper pipes that feed our dear tap-water deemed safe for drinking.
For SW-setup, fully agree on that, but anybody out there have real life data/info on this?
I'm only having FW-tanks with no plans to go SW. Using copper-pipes, there shouldn't be any corrosion? Or does CO-2 have a nice corroding side-effect?

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I think co2 does have a corroding effect... and I don't think it's really safe to use copper for drinking water... tho copper is a part of our daily "input" so... I'm not too sure... BTW, I use plastic pipes

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
That crossed my mind...will do some very carefull checking on that one...
Need to look around for some very thin plastic pipes. Seen some and got some idea's but that's for later, runs ok now.
Will keep you posted...

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Because there's no fun in buying ready-made stuff?
And, being in Thailand, it will be a bit harder to source this kind of equipment.
Topping off, these are (in line with a/m) tests based on other projects I've found on the web. Working with the available items here in Thailand...
Would love to go completely high-tech some day when I retire...
For now it's a mix of creativity and the fun of building it and seeing it work.

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
ow

Because there's no fun in buying ready-made stuff?
And, being in Thailand, it will be a bit harder to source this kind of equipment.
Topping off, these are (in line with a/m) tests based on other projects I've found on the web. Working with the available items here in Thailand...
Would love to go completely high-tech some day when I retire...
For now it's a mix of creativity and the fun of building it and seeing it work.
Luc:

I did not mean to be disrespectful, I just wondered. I am kind of a direct person, and my questions and opinions may be direct to the point of being misinterpreted ... I understand now, thank you ... I don't know everything you know, thanks for your time on educating me here. :thm:

Warm regards,
JS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store