DIY Chiller Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
Luc:

I did not mean to be disrespectful, I just wondered. I am kind of a direct person, and my questions and opinions may be direct to the point of being misinterpreted ... I understand now, thank you ... I don't know everything you know, thanks for your time on educating me here. :thm:

Warm regards,
JS
You know, I can be rude too--and, without meaning too!

Excellent article on the use of a recycled freon unit!

Thanks!

Regards,
JS

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Although it may not be cost effective, aluminum is relatively non reactive and will not kill your critters. So if you can get aluminum tubing you are golden.

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
Although it may not be cost effective, aluminum is relatively non reactive and will not kill your critters. So if you can get aluminum tubing you are golden.
I hope you are NOT suggesting I place aluminum metal into the water column which my aquarium water flows through!

Now, NON-magnetic stainless I might go for--of course glass is exellent--I don't have a problem with most plastics, etc. ...

Regards,
JS

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
John, same here...sounded a bit short on it..no worries, was meant as you meant it.
Was in between a bunch of things...
Appreciate every reply I see on this subject.

Going that route, oh yes some day. Would really try it...For now, sigh, playing around with old fridges keeps me out of the bars as well.
(And there's plenty of them in Bangkok you want to spent your time in.... oh yes...)

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
hmm... I wonder... maybe you can use a glass condenser... you can find them on ebay for a few dollars... it depends on what kind you get... linear being the cheapest

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
There are some idea's I'm playing with.
Temperature here has dropped to a max of 30'C during the day so I can take the unit out of the loop.
I've noticed a couple of issues on my tank that need resolve:
1. Higher waterflow.
Currently a canister-filter is pulling all the load and that's simply too much.
2. The heat-exchange in the fridge of course.
Your Condenser could be a good option but eBay in Thailand? Nah,...then again, there's plenty of huge markets here where you can get virtually everything.

One improvement to both issues is to separate into two loops.
For the fridge, I want to get a separate pump and inlet/returns. That would help me to stimulate water-flow and reduce the load on the canister's pump.

On the heat-exchange, not sure yet.
- Condensor
- Very thin mantle, plastic hose/pipe
- Sealing the copper with a coating and have tank-water directly into it, like a sump.

Overall, the system works perfect after the last modification. Suits my needs to keep the temperature in 28-30'C range but I'm sure I can shave some more with one or more of a/m mods.

Will keep posting

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
hmm.... I just remembered my post here... thanks luc for bringing this back up... I wonder how liquid cooling will do for my computer

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Long time I've read comments from you. Best wishes still....
If you really want to go liquid, I mean: all of your computer in a fishtank....
Do a search on 'Mineral Oil + Computer Cooling'
or check this one... http://www.flixxy.com/mineral-oil-cooled-computer.htm
Nice idea. Fun to look at and work on. Really cool.
But it's gonna move to my new project. Becoming really a compressor on a metal sled and the cooling element inside the return-tank. Looking around at how to seal the copper-tubing, but that'll work its way somehow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store